Beer in CO2 line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer in CO2 line

I tried to search but didnt come up with anything, so sorry if this is asked alot. I'm having a lot of foaming problems. I noticed that there is beer in the CO2 line. Would this cause a problem?

Are you sure you meant to say beer in the CO2 line, or did you mean to say CO2 in the beer line? If it is CO2 in the beer line, please tell us your beer liquid temp and CO2 pressure and what kind of beer it is.

Comment

Definitely beer in the CO2 line. The digital thermometer I have is in no way reliable, but from the test I did I would say that the beer temp is about 37-38 degrees out of the faucet, Killians, at sea level. I've had the CO2 at different amounts to test different theories, but right now it's at about 11 psi. I'm going to bump it back up to 14 psi tonight. It's been as low as 6 psi in the past couple of days. I would hate to buy a new coupler, faucet, or regulator if those will not help my foaming problem, but I wasn't sure if beer in the CO2 line would indicate anything.

Everything is stock Danby equipment except for the new beer line and a new shank from MM.

Comment

I would check the coupler seal and the seal on the keg itself. There should be a rubber gasket on the coupler and another one above and around the ball on the keg. Check those seating surfaces, that is the only was I can think of to get beer in the CO2 line, but it is definitely a unique problem. I would check em out and give em a good look over, when you get it figured out, let us know what it is, I'm pretty curious.

Comment

You need to replace the Thomas valve in the keg coupler. That is a one way valve that prevents beer from getting into the co2 line. Removethe hex nut as the co2 line goes into the keg coupler and you will see the Thomas valve.

Comment

PEBKAC- Problem Exists Between Keg And Chair

I figured out the problem...I'm an idiot.

It was a combination of 2 things: My beer line had air in it, and it was wrapping around in a way that made me think it was my CO2 line. Mind you, that investigation took place after a few pulls of the tap, so I guess there were 3 things!

I checked out the coupler and everything looked ok. I retapped the keg and made sure that I had a nice tight seal. I turned the coupler as tight as I could without breaking it which I don't think I did before. On the next pull of the tap, all of the air came out of the line and there were no air pockets. It seemed like it poured with less foam too. Maybe this whole foam issue was because the seal between the coupler and the keg was not airtight. I'll try again tonight to make sure. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
            X