Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the beer line leak CO2?

I have the Danby Kegerator.

Ive had a CO2 Leak for a long time (luckily I know it so I am not wasting gas or beer through a big pain in the *** routine just to get a stinking beer.) But anyway...

I know for sure its NOT (through well published tests):

1) Not the Regulator
    2) Not the gas line
    3) Not the coupler
    4) Not the keg

Is it possible to leak CO2 from the beer line connection to the coupler?? Is there supposed to be a rubber washer at this connection?

The coupler itself has a hard plastic piece at the beer line connection. I thought this would serve as the washer.

I have tried inserting several washers which seems to make matters worse but maybe they are just the wrong size/shape? The connection is tight as can be. I cant see what else it can be??

Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

Where the beer line connects to the coupler, there should be a washer. One of these:

I always keep a bunch extra on hand... just incase I lose one.

Comment

Never use more than 1 washer or gasket, it will always cause a leak.
      "If you tap it, they will come."

Comment

Are you saying that the hard plastic insert in the coupler at the beer line connection serves as a washer / gasket?

Comment

No, the hard plastic is the ball retainer. It keeps the check ball from stopping the beer flow. You need a rubber washer in there as well.

Comment

I used the neoprene washers and it is still leaking CO2.

I know for sure it is NOT:

1) the Regulator
            2) the gas line
            3) the coupler
            4) the keg

Any other possibilities of where the leak could be coming from??

How tight should the beer line connection be at the coupler?

Could it be the beer line itself?

ANy suggestions?

Comment

It's kinda hard to suggest possibilities when say that you've ruled everything out.

How about the connection between the regulator and the gas tank? Are you using metal worm clamps on the the gas line connections?

Have you tried spraying soapy water on all of the connections to see if it bubbles?

Comment

Thats whats driving me nuts...

I am not using the worm clamps but will try. I know it is not the regulator because it holds the high pressure, based on the recommended test on this site.

The ONLY time it loses HIGH Pressure is when the keg is coupled, the main valve is off and the secondary valve is open. This leaves only the

Keg seal
                Coupler
                Beer Line

I know it is not the keg because I switched out kegs and I am having the same problem.

I just got a new coupler under warranty from Danby. I guess it could be likely that they sent me another bad coupler???

This leaves only the beer line...

I put the washer in as suggested...still losing High Pressure.

Is there somewhere else on the beer line it could be leaking CO2 without leaking Beer?

How tight should the beer line connection be at the coupler?

Comment

Ordered new beer line and coupler (3rd try on coupler). Cross your fingers for me.

Maybe Danby just has crap product?

Next step is to return the whole damn thing and go back to bottles and cans...not worth the frustration.

Comment

All my Danby CO2 pressure woes disappeared when Danby sent me a replacement regulator. I detailed my ordeal elsewhere on this forum. Search for CO2 leak mystery.

Comment

THanks for the tip. I had replaced the regulator actually. AND the High Pressure remains constant when the main valve and secondary valve are closed meaning there in no leak here.

Comment

You are saying that when everything is hooked up you can see the high pressure gauge go down? Or is it after you turn off the tank? I would try the soapy water on all the connections. If it is leaking you will see bubbles.

Comment

After I turn off the main valve on the tank. I have done every stinking test in the book. It has to be the beer line or the coupler, HAS to be.

I got all new parts from Danby. Really quite funny, all that was missing was the actual fridge. I can tell there is a different design in some of the parts, specifically the beer line connection, which hopefully will make the difference. I just hooked it up and now I need to play the waiting game.

Ill let you know what happens. Saying a prayer to the beer god.

Comment

Its fixed

Well, the darn thing finally held its pressure after receiving a new beer line and new coupler.

I am almost positive it was the beer line connection that was causing the CO2 leak. The original piece had a hex nut and seemed to be an extremely tight fit for the washer and had a lot of space between the beer line and hex nut (this one is hard to explain w/ out an actual picture).

THe new part was a wing nut with a much easier fit of the washer and the space between the nut and beer line was minimal. It did not need to be tightened as much either.

Although they have a crappy product the customer service has been great. Next is to get the liquid temp down.

Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
                            X