Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 gauge regulator - is it really necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 gauge regulator - is it really necessary?

I stopped by a homebrew supplier yesterday, for a coupler o-ring.

I was looking at the keg hardware, and checked out the regulators. He had a pretty decent selection, including some dual-gauge regulators. I told the guy that when my regulator gives up the ghost, that I'll be purchasing one with a dual-gauge.

He told me to save my money, and buy a single gauge. He explained that the reason is that the gauge displays a constant pressure and is pretty much empty by the time that the reading starts to drop.

Evidently, the CO2 is liquid with a small amount of gas on top. The gas on top is what the gauge measures and the gas pressure remains constant, irregardless of the liquid level, until right before the bottle is completely empty. By the time that the psi drops on the gauge, its too late.

Sounds like it makes more sense to invest money into a spare CO2 bottle.

Thoughts?
    Hail to the Redskins!

The changr in gauge readings from full to empty are fast, but not as fast as this guy made it sound. Once the gauge approaches red, you know you are getting low. Once it is in red, plan on getting gas. But I agree that a spare tank would be best.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
      The changr in gauge readings from full to empty are fast, but not as fast as this guy made it sound. Once the gauge approaches red, you know you are getting low. Once it is in red, plan on getting gas. But I agree that a spare tank would be best.
      Agreed. My neighbor just ran out of gas, and once his dropped, he still had gas for a few days. Enough to get him to the weekend when he had time to go get a refill. With the single guage, he wouldn't have had those few days notice and might have ran out of beer in the middle of a Saturday night. Now that would suck.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I purchased a 2 gauge regulator last time I refilled the tank. Since day 1 it's been reading slightly in the red. The tank valve is all the way open. I've been watching for the gauage to drop a little... but hasn't moved yet. It should soon though.... I've had the tank hooked up for over a year and I go through a 5 gal keg in 6 or 7 weeks. It's the never ending CO2 tank!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses.

I keep the cylinder inside the kegerator,(an older Kenmore), and I never open the door, except to clean the lines and swap out the kegs.

For my purposes, unless I get a sweet deal on one, it appears as if a dual-guage isn't worth it.

When the time comes, I think that I'll stick with a single gauge and purchase a spare CO2 bottle.
          Hail to the Redskins!

Comment

Working...
          X