can co2 go bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can co2 go bad?

iv had my system for a few years and this year its giving me fits i have checked everything so dont ask...LOL....just wondered if my co2 could be bad when i get a new keg its perfect after a day or two i start to get foam the more co2 gose into the keg the worse the foam gets

forgot to add...... my co2 is about 2years old since my last refill

Comment

One thing is for sure - you do not have any leaks! If the gas did go "bad", you would think that the result would be taste, not foam issue. At what level of the keg did you begin to develop problems? Also, what do you mean by the more CO2, the more foam? Are you adjusting the pressure higher? Is your cylinder in side the kegerator? Do you have a high pressure gauge on your regulator? If so, what is the reading?

If the cylinder is outside of the kegerator and the pointer has dropped below 500 PSIG , the liquid carbon dioxide in the cylinder is gone and you do not have much gas left. Your regulated pressure to the keg may have risen on its own. This could result in over carbonation. If you suspect the cylinder, get a refill.

Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

the only bad taste im gettin is from too much foam you know when it settles i still drink(yuk) what i mean is it seems the more beer i draw hence the more co2 gose into the keg the more foam...im on to something now i may have a bad gage on my regulator picked one up at the tractor supply today and when i put it on the presure on the old gage read 10lbs the new on reads 18lbs i backed it off to 10lbs by the new one and only time will tell...so ill give it a couple more days see if the foam subsides...if this is true will the beer return to normal and how long might it take?

Comment

No. You have probably turned the beer into champagne. [xx(] The only method that will remove carbonation would be to shake out the excess gas imparted into the beer. Process would be to turn off the gas supply although keep the keg tapped. Shake keg and then pull the relief valve on the coupler. The issue at hand is you do not know how much to shake or bleed off. Consequence will be flat beer.

This is why it is critical to acquire equilibrium at all times between the pressure applied to the beer and the gas in the beer. By the way, does this regulator have a high pressure gauge[?][?] Also, what is the temperature of the beer[?]

Comment

my temp averages between 35-36...and yes i have a high side gauge it is at 600 in the fridge and about 1100 outside....one day later i can tell a difference im able to pour 2/3 glass now where before i could only get about 1/4...i haveent tried the shaking thing yet ill wait a couple more days to see what it will do if it settle to 3/4 glass ill leave well enough alone

Comment

scott my man the shaking thing worked...i cant believe the imediate results...its about half a keg so i did what you said but not to go too far i just gave it one good shake or jerk worked like a charm and perfect WOW!!!!iv been getting about 1/2"in of head for about a day and a half now taste great...thanks for the info

Comment

Do not get in a habit of shaking the keg every time you have a problem. Balance the system properly and you should be able to enjoy the beer from the entire keg.

Comment

Working...
                X