New guy, Danby questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy, Danby questions...

Hey guys, first off, I'm new here and I've already got tons of great info from all of you, so I want to extend my thanks.

Last week I picked up a used Danby #DKC586BL. I got everything for $275 so I couldn't pass up the deal and the unit is nearly brand new with all the accessories. I've read all about the mods and I plan to get a tower cooling system within the next few weeks. I do however have some questions and comments.

I read about the accuracy of the temp sensor so I figured I'd try to iron things out. I went to Sears and picked up a Taylor dial thermometer so I could get a liquid temp. Turns out that my new Sam Summer was only 46deg when the unit showed 36. Not good, but I expected that after reading reviews. I wanted to avoid the whole resistor mod until I really need to. I started off by putting the temp sensor in a glass of water and waited to see what would happen. Before I started, I made sure that I calibrated my dial thermometer in an ice bath, dead on 32deg after a slight adjustment.

After I set the Danby temp sensor in the small glass of water and the dial thermometer next to it, they are within 1 deg of each other. I was really surprised. So here are my questions.

Do or should I even attempt to do any cooling mods besides the tower cooling now that the Danby temp sensor actually appears to be accurate if measuring liquid temp? I plan on getting rid of the glass of water and putting the Danby sensor in a sealed test tube filled with water and putting it back into the little cubby. Will this cause any issues? Thanks for all the help guys.
    Last edited by Fastsc92; 05-10-2008, 08:38 AM.

It might be easier to just try and move the temp sensor as high and close to the door that you can. Just tape to the side and see what happens. If the results are good maybe extend the wiring to get it higher and closer to the door. Some extra air movement in there will help to.

Comment

After a few hours in an ice bath, the Danby sensor is around 34 while my dial thermometer shows 32. I'm going to try to extend the wiring and move the sensor closer to the door. If I add a blower to my system to cool the tower, can it be assumed that the return airflow will give enough circulation inside the unit? I'd rather not add an additional fan in there if I don't have to.

Comment

If you can force enough air up the tower it might be enough for the rest of the kegerator. In the set up I've used, http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...=tower+cooling most of the blower opening is blowing air up across the cooling plate and around the inside. Very little goes up the pipe to cool the tower. There's plenty of other examples on the forum too, just search "tower cooling"

Comment

Working...
        X