Keg storage question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg storage question...

Okay, I am using my kegerator for a large party function at a family friend's house. They will be serving Bud light, whereas my keg at home is Flying Dog Pale Ale. For the temporary time, from Thursday afternoon until sometime on Saturday, my keg of Pale Ale will be unrefrigerated.

What should I do? Should the keg be pressurized or unpressurized while sitting unrefrigerated? This keg is essentially untapped as I had a pressure valve problem a few weeks ago, and it has only just today been rectified.

Is this a recipe for disaster, or no big deal?

So the keg has never been tapped at all? If that's the case I'd probably just stick it in a garbage can ice bath... or wait a day or so once its back in the fridge before tapping it.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

The keg has been tapped, once, for about 4 hours about 2 weeks ago. My local CO2 guy overfilled my tank, and blew the blow-off safety valve. I depressurized it after that, and now it has yet to be tapped again.

I will probably just put it in an ice bath for the few days that I will need to, but should I carbonate it, or not? Is that a dumb question, it seems dumb to me, but I just wonder if it matters?

Comment

i would put the co2 on it if you have an extra setup around, but if you need the co2 for the party i would just do the ice bath. thats alot of trouble to go through for a party, you could just use a trash can and a co2 tank for the party?

Comment

I'd get it back on gas. The only time I'd ever release gas from a keg is if the keg is over pressurized.

Letting off the pressure when you untap lets the co2 come out of solution. Not the end of the world, but if the beer is properly carbonated, you don't want to mess that up.

I agree with pandemonium that the trash can and ice with a party pump is easier than what you are planning.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

a builder i work for had a little party for the trades and they had Budweiser come out and drop off the keg setups in trash cans with little co2 bottles inside so you didn't have to pump the tap like a backyard party. i thought that was a pretty cool and easy setup.

Comment

If you put your keg back on the CO2, turn it on until the keg is full of CO2 again (12-14 lbs). Untap the keg without releasing the pressure, put it on ice until you are ready for it again, it should be OK. Tapman

Comment

This may again sound like a dumb question, but when/if I re-carbonate, when I go to untap the keg and disengage the coupler, beer will flow out, right? I just have to do this quickly to minimize the loss?

Just wondering if there is some special way that I am unaware of to un-tap without beer shooting out for the 0.5 seconds of untapping.

I don't have any access to any other setup (pumping, etc) bc I am in a fairly small town. There is no place to even buy kegs here, only distributors sell them and only to those that hold liscenses. So I drive one home 150 miles when I buy it! Dedicated!

Comment

Also,

I have an extra regulator bc I just upgraded to a dual premium MM setup. I could use my old regulator just to see the pressure, but is that really necessary? If I go ahead and pressurize it, what is the need for any regulator? I don't see one, but maybe I am missing something.

Just thinking out loud, but I like all the input thus far. Please keep it coming.

Comment

If you pressurize the keg and untap it you will get no beer escaping. You need to use a regulator to pressurize or you won't know how much CO2 you are putting in the keg. Tapman

Comment

Originally posted by TAPMAN View Post
                      If you pressurize the keg and untap it you will get no beer escaping. You need to use a regulator to pressurize or you won't know how much CO2 you are putting in the keg. Tapman
                      Correct. I know I have to use a regulator to know the amount of CO2 i put in, but when I disengage the coupler and untap the keg, no beer will attempt to escape? I swear I have had this happen to me numerous times, but maybe I am incorrect.

Comment

If you turn off the gas, and lift the handle on the coupler, you should get no more than a dribble of beer. When that keg left the brewery, it was pressurized and it made the truck ride to the store and then to your home. It will be fine.
                        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

How long can I keep a previously tapped keg @ home?

Settle a bet? And help me to preserve a keg of Sam Adams Octoberfest!

Long story short... Had a party last weekend, using rented gas taps, and ended-up with a substantial portion of a keg of Sam Adams leftover. Couldn't bear to return it to the distributor. Though, took the other kegs and taps back.

So, put the leftover keg in an extra fridge, untapped but still pressurized. Hoping to keep the keg like that until Thanksgiving. What are my chances?

My brother thinks it has to remain tapped and pressurized to stay drinkable. I think it can be untapped and stay (mostly) pressurized for at least awhile. Though, not sure how long. Understand I do not want to use a party tap as it will introduce air, along w/ contaminants, into the keg and make it spoil in 1-2 weeks. Looking for a kegerator now.

Sorry so long. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Your chances are excellent. As long as you keep it cold, it will be completely fine until Thanksgiving. The co2 in the beer can't go anywhere, so it will remain at a constant pressure, and the flavor of the beer will last 3+ months as long as it stays cold.

The beer goes bad if you had used a party/hand pump to dispense, because that puts oxygen into the system. But you used co2 to dispense it, so the beer will be fine.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

What PSIG did you apply to the keg while dispensing through the rented equipment? If it was for a cold plate or coil system, you will need to relieve this higher PSIG down to 12-14 PSIG for storage @ 38F.
                              Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X