Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I keep the CO2 canister outside of the refrigerator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I keep the CO2 canister outside of the refrigerator?

Hi. I've done a search, but I cannot find any information. I can't fit the CO2 tank inside of my refrigerator. Is it okay to keep it outside of the fridge?

Most of the prebuilt units (such as the Danby) are designed to have it outside the fridge.

Comment

thank you very much. i appreciate the help.

Comment

Keep in mind if you have to drill a hole to run the gas hose outside, you need to be careful to not hit any vital organs.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Its better to have the tank outside the kegerator. The CO2 will be less dense at kegerator temp vs room temp. I forget the exact number but I noticed my tank read 200 psi less when it was cold (20 lb tank).

Comment

I've been told keeping the co2 cylinder outside the kegerator is better because all the gas can be expelled, whereas inside the kegerator the gas compresses and you don't get all of it out of the cylinder. any truth?
            good luck and good drinking. Murren
            Good Luck and Good Drinking. Murren

Comment

I have heard the flip side - that you should chill your bottle before you fill it so it will hold more.

Comment

the purging or cooling of the tank before filling is done just as you say, before filling by the technician whose filling it.this is done to cool the tank, so when the tech fills it, you are getting more gas than liquid in the tank

Remeber: CO2 can be a gas, liquid, or gas and liquid at the same time depending on temp. thats why its filled that way.

a warm bottle is bad for filling. storing a bottle at room temp beside your kegerator shopuld cause no issue. Unless its near a heat source, in which case it will causea big issue!!! storing your bottle inside your kegerator if possible would be best, but not neccessary.

Also, u will never, ever expell all of the "gas" out of a C02 bottle, for the simple reason that,again, it can be a gas, liquid or both depending on the temp, its one of the only gases that can do this. so you will always have some c02 in your bottle, but it will be in liquid form, and the gas form is what propels the beer through the line.

in short leaving a bottle beside the kegerator on the outside vs inside....no major difference....if your using a 10lbs tank your prolly talkin at best a few ounces more if stored inside.....no big deal.

CHEERS

Comment

Working...
                X