"Out-of-the-box" MM tower conversion still all foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Out-of-the-box" MM tower conversion still all foam

Basically just bought and set this kit up in a spare full size fridge.

Nothing was modified, not the kit, or the fridge. Basically, I just put it together as it comes and stuck it in the fridge. The CO2 tank, keg, tower, lines.....everything.

The fridge was open for a long time as measurements were made for a base for the keg, and removing shelving, etc. Then again for a long time when I got home from purchasing air and a keg. I got it all set up properly...... I think, BUT...

Every glass is foam, prob. about 90/10 foam to beer. The keg's been in there with the fridge on the coldest setting for about 8 hours and the smart strip thing that tells you how full the keg is and the temp, is reading 46 degrees.

I am pretty sure that the temp is the reason for all the foam and hope that in the morning, the temp will be closer to 38 and the beer will pour better.

I know that the fridge gets cold because on the lowest setting it will freeze sodas and milk. I am guessing it just takes a while. I am also concerned about the beer staying at 46 degrees. Will this have any affect on the beer for the little bit of time its at that temp. I am assuming its dropping every minute and hopefully in the morning or by tomorrow night it will be correct and my foam problem solved.

As stated above, the kits exactly as shipped, completely stuffed in the fridge. Filled the new 10lb tank and set the PSI is at 13.

Any help or suggestions on my current situation will be GREATLY appreciated.

I forgot to add, I noticed there are tiny air bubbles in the beer line. Not sure if that means anything but i did notice it

Comment

Search for keg balancing while you are waiting for your beer to cool.
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Isnt my keg balanced assuming the temp drops to 38? All the equipment should be as it was all bought new and I have pressure set to (12-14). Is there something I missed about balancing?

Also, I put a small glass of water in the fridge with a thermometer. Sure enough, after some time it was reading 38. I poured a beer but the beer temp is still high. I guess waiting is all thats in order?

Comment

I appologize for all the posts, but I am stresssed out of my mind about this and as things come to mind I want to post them in hopes that something I say will lead to an answer.

The beer (bud light) is coming straight out of the faucet as foam. doesnt matter how slow you try to pull the level. The guage is reading 12 psi but as I was adjusting it, I did move that screw alot on both directions. Is it possible that the pressure is greater than the guage is reading? keeping in mind the guage is brand new. The beer does FLY out of the faucet and all foam, pull is prob about a second and the glass is full of foam, which settles down to a quarter glass of pure beer.

The tower is screwed to a piece of plywood which is placed on a shelf in the fridge to hold the tower steady. I hear these stories about beer in tower being warmer but i dont think thats affecting me here since the ENTIRE system in enclosed in the fridge...

OH HOW I HOPE SOMEONE COMES ON HERE WITH SOME BULLSEYE ADVICE.

Comment

Originally posted by beer1234 View Post
            doesnt matter how slow you try to pull the level.

I hear these stories about beer in tower being warmer but i dont think thats affecting me here since the ENTIRE system in enclosed in the fridge...
            Trying to open the faucet slowly will make matters worse. Snap the faucet open and snap it close. Slowly opening it or partially opening it causes turbulence.

The warm tower issue generally affects the first draw of the evening as the beer in the line at the top is warmer and co2 comes out of it easier.

Keg balancing is more than waiting for the beer to cool to serving temperature. You have the temperature the beer is at, the volume of co2 that should be dissolved in it, the line length, height from the keg to faucet.

Relax and think these things all through and look at balancing the system as a puzzle. And getting the beer to the correct serving temperature is going to be one of the first things that you need to get done.
            Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
            but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally got chilled and pours 1-2" foam and doesnt shoot out like a cannon!

sorry for all the neurotic (sp) posts but i was worried i'd ruin the keg.

If a mod reads this post, it can be deleted

Comment

Working...
              X