Beer Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Head

How long should the head on a beer last? I am currently getting a first pour that is about 90% foam then a second that pours perfect but is tasting alittle flat. I am guessing the 90% foam is due to the tower not being cooled. If I put a fan in the freezer an aim it up to the tower should that help out instead of buying a blower? If so should I just plug the fan in when I know the kegerator will be used so I don't have to have it running all the time.

Just finished up my chest freezer conversion will be posting pic soon.

Thanks,

Mark

Ok installed the fan it didn't help anything. liquid temp is at 35-38 psi is at 12. First pour is 90% foam then the second pour looks perfect but the head disapears quite fast and the beer tastes flat. The pour is quite fast also. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

The only way to really get the tower cool IMHO, is to force the air up the tower. Just pointing a fan at it doesn't do it (I've tried).
      Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
      but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Psychodad,

I understand the first pour being foamy because of the tower not being cooled, but in your opinion what can I do to fix the flat second pour?

Comment

Make sure your Glasses are "Beer Glass Clean" if your second beer is losing it's head quickly and tastes flat, either wash your glasses by themselves in a dishwasher or wash them with baking soda in the sink, regular dish soap will leave a film and screw up your beer.

Comment

Dial in the temperature. Draught beer dispensing does not recognize temperatures between 35-38 F. Adjust to maintain 38 F and PSIG to 14.

Do not use dish washing soap for glassware as they leave a film on the glasses. Use a 15 CFM blower and flex tube to maintain temperature in the tower.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Hello,

I can't dial in the temp to be exact because I have this temp controller:

and the temp has a 3.5 differential so it goes between 35-38.

But I have everything working perfectly now. Surprizingly the problem was the tap handle I had on the kegerator. I had a large handle and I thought maybe try switching to the original one it came with and with the smaller handle it let me open the tap much quicker resulting in less foam and no flat beer. Thanks for the help everyone.

So a new piece of info for everyone. If you have tryed everything on the forum to fix a foamy flat beer problem and you have a large tap handle switch the handle back to the original and this may fix your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ksz View Post
                I can't dial in the temp to be exact because I have this temp controller:

and the temp has a 3.5 differential so it goes between 35-38.
                There is a spot between that 3-1/2 degree differential that will maintain a fairly constant liquid temperature. What Scott is saying is use your calibrated thermometer to find it.
                Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
                X