5 lbs of CO2 pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 lbs of CO2 pressure?

I have an Haier kegerator that when set at 12 lb 38 degrees I was getting at least 4 inches of head. After experimenting with several setttings and pressures I found that 5lbs of pressure and 34 degrees gave me a perfect draw. I am content with this but worried my lite beer may go flat with such a low pressure. Any thougts?

Yup! your beer will go flat. Laws of gases equilizing - gas in beer will leave and equalize in head space of keg. What brand of beer is it, what elevation are you at, and are you absolutely positive your temperature is correct (calibrated thermometer)?

Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Ever since I went from a pony to a full size keg I have been getting a "burst" of foam that amounted to about four inches on the first draw. If I immediately pour a second beer everything is fine. However, if I step out for only 5 minutes and come back I get the "burst" again. I also notice that after my pour I have CO2 bubbling into the beerline where the beer line attaches to the tap. These bubbles in turn float up my tower and stack behind the faucet. I have changed all the washers (faucet, tap, etc), changed to a perkelet tap, and still have the problem. When I increase the CO2 pressure I just get a faster, larger burst of foam. My temperature stays between 34-36 degrees

Please Help!

To say the least it is frustrating.

Comment

Open the faucet an quickly shut it. Shine a flashlight through the beer line just above the coupler. If you see tiny bubbles (no, not in the wine)slowly rising in the line, your pressure is too low and raise it one pound. Keep doing this until ther are no bubbles - opening the faucet each time. These bubbles are the actual CO2 in the beer breaking out because you do not have euilibrium.

How long is your 3/16" line. Also, between 34-36F is not an exact temperaure. calibrate your thermometer in ice water.

As to the initial shot of foam, dump it and start over. You cannot pour clear beer on top of foam.

Comment

Would 16 lbs be too much?

Comment

What pressure setting works best?

I am a new kegerator and I just tapped my first 1/4 keg. The pressure is at 12lbs and I'm getting alot of head. I read on here if the pressure is too low the beer will go flat. HHow do I adjust to eliminate this problem?

Comment

I'm not even going to touch this one with the "head" problem lmfao
              From the land of pleasant living, the Chesapeake bay
              and hot steamed crabs!

Comment

Ammodog welcome to the boards, the way to control foam is to increase the length of the beer hose to restrict flow. now I haven't done this, I adjust my gas back to 9 psi and nip the problem in the bud. my buddy Scott will rip my butt for telling you this, but if works for me
                From the land of pleasant living, the Chesapeake bay
                and hot steamed crabs!

Comment

Make sure you have at least 5-6 feet of 3/16" ID tubing to properly restrict the flow. You also want to be sure that your temp is at 38 degrees from the keg to the faucet.
                  Ed
                  Blue Line Draft Systems
                  www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

edram will give you the good info. Your problem lies with the resistance of the ID, however you might have a temp issue.

I would recommend a 7' 3/16 ID for your beer line and 15-18 lbs psi for your co2.
                    "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it" - William Arthur Ward

Comment

sorry - hit the reply button before I was done.

this is a follow on to Edram...........Temp.............Make sure you have a liquid temp of 38 degree's or lower - but remain above 28. The alcohol in in the brew will allow a colder temp before freezing - 28 degree's (my draws are 29 - and very few understand how - LOL)

Drop your temp to 34 and ensure your Tower temp is between 34 and 38 (with a cooling unit - consisting of a fan).

You will get a good draw every time!!!!!!!!!!!
                      "If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it" - William Arthur Ward

Comment

Problem Solved

Everyone who offered advice I thank you. I went with the 7 foot hose and dropped my temp to 34 degrees. The beer is flowing smoothly. I love it.

Comment

I have a Haier also. Did you do the tower cooling mod? I did & don't have a foaming problem.

Comment

i'm new to the forum (hi!) and realize this is a very old thread, but this is the most applicable to my problem...

stats - i have a danby kegerator that is a few years old. the beer line is 1/4" ID and 4.5' long. the temp varies depending on what's on tap. and i live in the midwest - around 600 ft above sea level.

and i have had to pour every keg, regardless of stye, between 3 and 5 psi!! it's the only way i can keep the beer from exploding out of the faucet. but i still get an initial foam at the beginning of each pour that i just pour off into a pitcher until it runs clear. based on what i'm reading in this thread, that could be because my psi is too low. so, i'll go with a longer beer hose. the thing is, i think my kegerator came with a 1/4" ID beer hose in the beginning (that i have since replaced, but i think with the same size). it clamps onto the nipples pretty tightly. can i put a 3/16" ID hose onto these same nipples? if i stick with the 1/4", how long should my hose be?

thank you!! i'm tapping a new keg tonight and would love to be able to pour a perfect beer for once!

Comment

Your Danby likely had 3/16" line when new but it is often mistaken as 1/4". If you replaced it with 1/4", you made the issue a bit worse. Search the forum, there are issues other than line length and size that causes problems with the Danbys.
                              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
                              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Working...
                              X