No announcement yet.

Foam bad on one line but not the other.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam bad on one line but not the other.

So i have two kegs in the kegerator. One is killians irish red and the other is a porter. Ive had trouble with foam since i went from a single tower to a double. It was perfectly fine before. The old coupler i was using before is hooked up to a porter on the new setup and it is barely more foam than it should be and im okay with it. But the new one has had bud light and now killians. And both have been way too foamy. I had killians before on other setup and right psi and had no issues so i dont think its psi or temperature related. Im thinking it may be the setup of the newer coupler to the keg? Also had to put plug in the back of kegerator and had to put the co2 tank inside intead of being on the outside. Thats about only adjustment i had to make setting up the new double tower setup. Just curious if anybody has any opinions or feedback before i go all in on trying to fix it through trial and error.

Do you have a tower cooler? What is your beer temp on both beers? Are you using a dual pressure regulator, what pressure are you using?
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

I do not have a tower cooler. Liquid thermometer shows 45 degrees which is what ambers/red ales should be right? I have dual regulator. I have the porter on 10 psi and the killians on 12 and on the single setup i had, i had to put it on 15 because 12 was flat and barely any foam. Another reason why i dont think its psi related but i am somewhat new to this and still in the learning phase and could be wrong. I had it perfect before on single regulator and kinda regret messing with perfection, but i had two kegs in there at one time anyways. It only made sense to get new double tower.

Comment

Your serving temp should be what you want it to be, commercial accounts target 38 degrees serving temp. You should familiarize yourself with the relationship between temp and applied pressure as it relates to the volumes of CO2 that the beer was packaged at. Read any thread here about foam or balance. The short story is those things are all related and that relationship can be seen in a force carbonation chart. The foam you are seeing is likely a result of imbalance. By style, and Irish Red is likely in the mid 2's, but you will find that most macro brews are tuned to the American audience, so Killians is owned by Miller-Coors and all of their beers are 2.7 v/v. With a 2.7 v/v and 45 degrees that line would be looking for 17 psi. Porters on the other hand by style are mid to low 2's, some dipping into the high 1's. Using a v/v of 2.2, that line wants about 12 psi. How did you take the liquid temp? The correct way is with a calibrated thermometer and room temp glass. Draw a beer, immediately pour off and pour a second beer in the same glass. Take the temp without touching the sides. This technique is especially important for you since you do not have a tower cooler. BTW you will always have first beer foam without a tower cooler, you really need to get or make one.

Comment

I just used a digital thermometer and did the way u said. I ran out of my porter yesterday and swapped over to other line with the killians and i saw a lil improvement just because of the better faucet probably. Beer is also 5 degrees cooler with the other keg out of there. I guess i shall spend more money on a tower cooler. Because the second pour was better so u definitely right there. The single tower might have kept it colder than the new double tower as well. Who knows but Im gonna get this bad boy figured out eventually. Thanks for the advice. Also i hate to go back to single regulator but its a pain having that double one inside there cause theres really no room for it on the ledge in the back. Its just hanging on back there. Gonna get a splitter and try to get two beers with the same co2 volume i guess. The hole in the back only has room for one line to go through and i have always been nervous drilling holes in appliances. Do u have any suggestions there or is that bout my only option?

Comment

Run one line through the back into a two product regulator gang inside. The tower cooler will also benefit you in air circulation inside as it is sending air up the tower you’ll get a natural flow. You will also likely have to open the hole in the top of the unit - once you have a cooler line plus two beer lines in there you won’t have enough room for return air flow. What goes up and into the tower must come down.

Comment

Working...
            X