No announcement yet.

Disconnecting C02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

800 PSIG high pressure gauge pointer reading on a room temperature cylinder is accurate. Once the cylinder is placed in the kegerator, it is natural for this pointer to drop to 500. This does not indicate a leak. This is a result of the liquid gas in cylinder contracting due to a colder environment thus exerting less pressure in the head space. Conduct the leak test after the cylinder has acclimated to the kegerator's temperature and and if the pointer drops, begin at regulator and go through the process of elimination to locate leak.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
      800 PSIG high pressure gauge pointer reading on a room temperature cylinder is accurate. Once the cylinder is placed in the kegerator, it is natural for this pointer to drop to 500. This does not indicate a leak. This is a result of the liquid gas in cylinder contracting due to a colder environment thus exerting less pressure in the head space. Conduct the leak test after the cylinder has acclimated to the kegerator's temperature and and if the pointer drops, begin at regulator and go through the process of elimination to locate leak.
      Thank you. While that makes a lot of sense, I got worried after my last tank just emptied out in a week. I had only gotten it filled last summer, and for many months in between didnt even have beer on tap at home. I will try the leak test with soapy water and if its shows nothing, I'll leave the C02 turned on and hope for the best. Just would hate to drop an other $30 again....

Comment

Gas being a gas, it contracts when cold and expands when warmed. Again, if you follow the leak test procedures and the high pressure pointer does not drop after five minutes or so, you do not have a leak.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Ok, now I did the soapy water with the psi at 40, and nothing. No leaking sound, no bubbles. Ok, maybe I'm paranoid and will leave it alone and see what happens. However...

The million $ question. How do i release the excess pressure in the keg?? This M coupler does not have a pressure release valve ?!?! Of course the beer is pouring fast and foamy after my 40 psi tests. Should I just set it at 12psi and it will balance in 24 hours or so?

Thank you!

Comment

Turn it off. Drink and it will slow down and empty the head space. The reapply at 12.
            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Ok, did that. Thank you and Scott for all your great advice. Will report back

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                Turn it off. Drink and it will slow down and empty the head space. The reapply at 12.
                How long will it take to slow down? LOL That beer is shooting out...I mean I've poured 4-5 beers at this point (Co2 completely turned off), so maybe I'm expecting too soon?

Comment

As you drink you are expanding the head space so the pressure should start to drop. From 40 you need to get 4x the headspace you had to get to 10. I didn’t realize the M coupler didn’t have a relief or I might have thought twice about to 40 psi test and used it as a last resort. I’d guesstimate it will start to slow down around 3/4 of a gallon to a gallon removed.

Comment

It was fairly full keg, so I hope you are right

Comment

Originally posted by BigKutta View Post
                      It was fairly full keg, so I hope you are right
                      Did you drink this down to a normal pressure yet?

Comment

Did you drink this down to a normal pressure yet?
                        Yes sir, Its back to normal now. Haven't been drinking much during the week, so some weekend drinking fixed it up. I just hooked up the Co2 back to it a few days ago. I see that the high side pressure is holding up for now. As an added peace of mind, I did add the check valve to the coupler, even though it has a built in one. No harm, right?

Thanks for you all your help.

Comment

When you say internal check valve - are you talking about the one that is in line with the beer flow? If so, that is a liquid check valve to keep beer from flowing back out of the line when you un couple. The duck bill is what you need, and even if you have another gas check inside, it can't hurt.

Comment

When you say internal check valve - are you talking about the one that is in line with the beer flow? If so, that is a liquid check valve to keep beer from flowing back out of the line when you un couple. The duck bill is what you need, and even if you have another gas check inside, it can't hurt.
                            No this is a built in gas check valve. I've attached a photo, and you can see it in the clear part of the coupler where the gas line comes in. i added a duck bill at the line also to be safe. Thanks!
                            IMG_4014.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X