Tap not stuck but can't remove coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap not stuck but can't remove coupler

I see a bunch of posts where a coupler is stuck in place but none that address my problem so any help whatsoever would be appreciated. I've had a kegerator for a few years and never had anything like this happen. I have a keg of Mudshark Vanilla Caramel Porter that I tried to attach a couple of days ago. Something went wrong but I'm not sure what. Right now I can spin the keg endlessly left and right and the coupler neither locks in or comes loose. Any ideas on how to fix this or what my problem is?

Thanks!

The dip tube is the piece of the keg that draws the beer up, the lugs that the coupler grabs on to are on the dip tube. I suspect the dip tube is now loose for some reason. Can you describe what went wrong?1201.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by djc; 04-03-2020, 05:24 AM.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

What type of keg is this? same as djc's photo? Normally you do not spin keg. If keg in photo, simply align coupler in keg valve well and turn until you feel compression. Do not over tighten as beer is like glue when it hangs out for a awhile. If stuck in keg valve well, pour hot water over the coupler to melt the beer glue.
      Last edited by Scott Zuhse; 04-03-2020, 08:25 AM.
      Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

I guess my terminology might be the issue here. When I said, "spin" I meant that I can turn the coupler in either direction and it doesn't loosen or tighten. It is a Cornelius keg. There's beer in the keg, the coupler has been used on many other kegs of the same size. Will post some pictures a little later. Thanks!

Comment

Corny kegs require two valves referred to ball lock couplers. one for pressure and one for beer outlet. They are similar to a quick disconnect fitting and will spin.

Comment

OK, didn't have a small enough video or photo to post directly so I put them on here:
            https://flic.kr/p/2iLxX3Y (shows what I'm talking about in a video)
            https://flic.kr/p/2iLAqGK is a simple picture

I'll go ahead and say that I don't understand most of the responses to this point and I'm 100% sure it is due to my own lack of knowledge on this subject. I normally just pop the kegs on and off and clean the lines every other time. That's been all of the maintenance I've ever had to do.

Comment

It actually looks like that keg is missing the retainer ring that goes over the top of the dip tube and the cover that goes over that. See the picture attached which points out the ring, and the cap is what has the screwdriver slot in it. Does that whole assembly pull right up and out?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by djc; 04-03-2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

No, I cannot get it to pull out at all.

Comment

Hit it with hot water to break up the dried beer, put a screwdriver against the lug and unscrew it. The keg is defective - it’s missing parts.

Comment

Will give that a try but there's no dried beer. The coupler spins easily as I showed in the video. Thanks! Will report results when I get a chance to try it.

Comment

The coupler and the dip tube are spinning together, they are stuck together. There is beer all over the top of the keg and is clearly seen at the interface between the coupler and dip tube. Hit it with water, put a screw driver against the lug and unscrew the coupler from the dip tube.

Comment

Oh, I see. Makes total sense. Thank you for the explanation!

Comment

This is unusual if this is a "D" style valve keg valve. Attempt to remove coupler from valve (hold valve with large Channel-lock pliers) and return keg for a refund. At no time should a clip be missing from valve.

Comment

Working...
                          X