Beer Gas Sudden loss of gas/pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Gas Sudden loss of gas/pressure

I use 75%nitro/25%CO2. Beer gas, as I have heard it called. I have checked for leak many times with soapy water and found none. Two taps in a old fridge. After installing a newly filled tank there is plenty of tank pressure and no leaks for a month or two. It slowly drops as expected. Then suddenly within a week it will drop to zero. I install a new tank and everything is fine. Then a month or two later, suddenly it drops to zero.
    I asked the gentleman at the welding supply where I buy my gas but he new nothing specific only saying he had heard the CO2 and Nitro will separate and one has to "rotate" or shake the tank occasionally.

Does anyone have any ideas about why I would see a sudden drop on a consistent basis.

My theory is the welding guy is right and the Nitro floats to the top eventually and my regulator leaks it all out.

Welcome! Well, the regulator will not simply allow one gas or the other to leak out. Something is happening to make the gas to leak. I think if you trace your steps, you will find that you or someone else that has access to the kegerator is causing the leak. Do you untap the kegs? Clean the lines? Next question, why 75/25 gas? Are you drinking Guinness? Let us know what you find.

Comment

I do have people over often and suppose someone could be thinking they need adjust something and that is the cause.
      I like the 75/25 as it gives a silkier beer. I drink a lot of stouts and barley wines; barrelled aged if I can and they do well with less artificial carb IMO.

Comment

Could it just be that you are using up the gas? The gages on these tanks are not like the fuel gage in your car - it is measuring the pressure above the liquid in the tank. Once the liquid is gone it will drop very quickly.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
          Could it just be that you are using up the gas? The gages on these tanks are not like the fuel gage in your car - it is measuring the pressure above the liquid in the tank. Once the liquid is gone it will drop very quickly.

A late addition to this thread, but a small dose of reality.

Unlike CO2 tanks, G-Gas tanks contain gas only...there is no liquid. So when that dial begins to fall...it will do so precipitously.

Now or if your tank empties and you are not pouring anything...you definitely have a leak.

Last edited by BeerAce; 08-21-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X