Complete foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete foam

So I am at a complete loss. I have tried just about everything and cannot get it right. I have a setup with a old tower kegerator that I have converted to go through a wall. I used this instruction here https://www.micromatic.com/dispense-...m-refrigerator.

Once complete my beer has always been inconsistent. I have all stainless shank and a perlick stainless faucet. 12 ft of 1/4 inch hose. run miller lite. I used to run at 6 psi, but beer a lot of times would come out flat tasting, and would always have a large gap in the beer line and would get foam until I get past that gap, with good beer after unless pouring a lot at a party in which I would always have good pours, while I always felt it was ever so slightly flat tasting compared to at a restaurant. To beat this I thought I would buy a flow control faucet. I also just replaced my keg coupler with a new all stainless one. Long story short my problem has gotten worse. I turned up my co2 to about 13 psi, which made the beer in the line look perfect. No moving bubbles, or air pocket. Now a pour comes out consistently with about 95% foam. I can open the flow control all the way up or trickle it out and I still get the same result. Does anyone have any ideas. I am thinking of going back to my old non flow control faucet to see if it is better tonight, but if I have it opened up I was getting about 35% foam with the psi set to 12-13.

beer temp on first pour after leaving for a long period is about 39 degrees, and second glass is around 34 degrees. No huge elevation change, similar to the height of old tower. My problem is that the beer in the line looks perfect, and even as I turn the flow down to a trickle with the flow control on the perlick 650ss I still get all foam.

If I turn off the co2 and drain all beer out of the line until I cannot anymore, then turn the air back on I did get one good pour right after last night, but tested again this morning and was back to all foam. I have disassembled the sankey, and removed to faucet and put back on but have not been able to get to the back of the through wall shank and really would rather not have to if possible.

Please help!

There is lots of valuable information here on the site. You should probably read up on the threads to get an understanding of what balance is, without it you will be forever inconsistent. You should be using 3/16" line for this run. No need to change your fittings, just swap in 3/16 in it's place. The differential between glass 1 and 2 tells you that at a minimum you have a warm beer line. The 34 degrees tells you you should be balancing to that number, although as you get that cold it will be harder to balance. With a guess at the volumes of CO2 for the beer (you didn't say what it is) of 2.7, at 34 degrees the applied pressure for balance is around 11 psi. This keeps the CO2 dissolved in solution, without over carbing.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have read a lot of posts here, however I thought since my foam problem goes away at 6psi that the temp is probably not my issue.

I cannot get my beer line colder without going to glycol and am ok with a little bit of foam on the first pour. I am running miller lite now. My problem is that if I am at 6 psi i get a good pour, but end up with flat beer. At 12 psi it comes out too fast. I read that I could change to 3/16 line to get slower pour, but decided to go with the 650ss flow control faucet to have the same result without having to pull my piping apart. Once switching I am at 95% foam that takes forever to dissipate and that is consistent if I keep going for 60 ounces. Also have the problem at both 6psi and 12psi with the flow control faucet.

Planning on pulling off the flow control faucet tonight and taking apart to see if I see anything. Also will try going back to my old faucet to see if I go back to the old problem of having to go to 6psi to get a decent pour.

Comment

You need the 3/16" line IMO. 1/4" is for long draws and usually uses chokers near the faucet. Are you circulating any cold air either in the box or with a tower cooler?

Comment

Yes I am circulating with a fan. The write up from the original post is what i used and why i went with 1/4" hose. Wouldn't the flow control faucet do the same thing as a choker?

I bought everything from this post and installed it as directed. bought a straight stainless shank and a perlick ss faucet. Just switched out the faucet for the perlick 650ss flow control faucet as I thought it would do the same thing as using 3/16 beer line without having to take my plumbing apart and re thread the beer hose through..

Comment

I think the issue is that you are still flowing a big volume with that quarter inch line. I think the difference between the flow control and the choker is that the choker has a length to it and has beer in the constricted length which keeps the flow from getting turbulent. The flow control is providing a constriction point and the big flow just comes dumping past it and creates turbulence. I'm just a regular Joe though, if Iceman or BillandSuz show up they will be able to offer you the professional insight. Me, I'd go to 3/16th.

Comment

Hi! I am actually not a huge fan of beer, but thanks so much for the instruction! It's a very interesting thread!

Comment

Tips for Reducing Kegerator Foam

Step 1: Temperature should be mid-low 40's F (liquid temp, not air temp)
                Step 2: Clean the beer line or replace
                Step 3: Beer line should be 3/16" diameter
                Step 4: Use beer line that is 8 feet long
                Step 5: Set regulator in the 5-10 PSI range. Adjust as necessary.
                Step 6: 24 hour keg rest after transporting for CO2 to reabsorb into the beer.
                Step 7: Watch for beer line dipping below the level of the top of the keg. Coil beer lines on top of the keg.

Comment

2 and 3 are true, 4 is close but not an absolute, the rest are worthless

Comment

Working...
                  X