Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD58 Kegerator Troubleshooting

Hi all,

I just purchased a used DD58 kegerator. Its in pretty good shape, but its not working correctly.

When I plug it in, the condenser and condenser fan kick on and run for about 30 seconds to a minute, then shut off. The fan inside the unit (i think its the evaporator fan?) does not turn at all. After sitting for about 5 minutes, the condenser and fan start up again for another minute or so and shut back off and the cycle continues like that.

Where/how do I begin my trouble shooting? I would assume the evap. fan needs to be replaced, but would a bad evap. fan make the compressor shutdown after such a short period of time?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum...
    Without the evap fan running the evaporator coil will get cold very quickly & the temp control will sense this & shut the compressor down. Replace the fan motor & go from there, you should be fine.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks for the welcome/reply Iceman! When you say that the temp control will shut the compressor down quickly, do you mean within like 1-2 minutes quickly? Or will it generally take longer then that?

​Can you recommend a place that sells replacement parts for these Beverage air units?

Comment

Since there is no air flowing through the evap coil there is no heat load & the evap will cool very quickly. 1 to 2 minutes does not sound out of line.
        I don't have a source in mind but if you do a google search for BeverageAir parts a number of places will pop up.

THE ICEMAN
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Awesome, ill get the part ordered/installed and report back. Thanks again!

Comment

I decided to take the evap. fan out so I could get the part number and to work on replacing it. It was FILTHY and almost completely seized up. I disassembled it, cleaned it up with PB Blaster and some emery cloth and got it spinning freely. I oiled it, reassembled and reinstalled and BADDA-BING, working perfectly.

The kegerator got down to 33 degrees in about 20 minutes! (completely empty too!)

Thank you SO MUCH Iceman! Your advice and diagnosis were 100% spot on. Even the reasoning behind the symptoms was completely accurate!

Comment

Cool beans... I would venture to say that the last time the unit was shut down before you got it, the door was left closed & the unit never had time to air out. Being a humid environment the moisture settled on the fan motor & it rusted up. Word to the wise... If you shut down the unit in the future for a time, block open the door.

THE ICEMAN
              -Dave Barry-
              -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
              X