Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverage-air B23 Cooling Issues

Hi All,
    I've reviewed several posts on this forum on around the Beverage AIR B23 not cooling. I recently acquired an 8 year old beverage air B23 that is not cooling. Otherwise it appears to be in great shape. When I pull the back off the refrigerator, it looks to be in great condition. Coils were clean, etc . This model is newer and uses R134 freon. Based on reviewing all of the posts and my own troubleshooting, I have narrowed down my issue to low freon and a possible freon leak. I'd like to take a shot at fixing this myself. Could anyone recommend any resources for how to find the freon leak? In addition, could someone recommend resources that could help me determine if my freon is low.

Thanks,
    Brad

Repairing refrigeration systems are not necessarily a 'do it yourself' proposition. Unless you are in the refrigeration business you will most likely not have the tools required to do the job. What makes you believe that the unit is low on refrigerant? Simply because it is not cooling? There are a number of reasons why a unit stops cooling.
    Anyway, if you are convinced that you have a leak, about the only way to find a leak without a leak detector is first to use your eyes. After the unit runs for a time, a day or so, does ice form on the back of the evaporator? If so, you either have a leak somewhere or a restriction in the system. Also, with the unit running, use your hands by feeling the lines coming out of the compressor. The smallest line is the discharge line, it should be hot. The largest line is the suction line & it should be very cool to cold, not iced up. Also, feel the filter/drier, it should be warm to the touch. If it is cold or has ice on it then you are either low on refrigerant or there is a restriction in the drier or capillary tube in which case either would require replacement.
    With the unit off, look for oil residue on the weld joints & then if you should find any hit them with a soap solution to see if anything bubbles. Keep in mind that not all oily spots indicate a leak & if a leak is in the evaporator coil you would need a leak detector to find it anyway. Most leaks on those systems are found in the evaporator coil & are generally very small which makes them difficult to find even with a leak detector.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
    X