HELP !!!!! Trying to fix Kegerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !!!!! Trying to fix Kegerator

I acquired an Igloo 6.0 Cu ft. Kegerator that I was able tore-charge with coolant. Since then I have tested the Thermal Overload Protector, the starter relay, and the Compressor with my electrical meter. All tested fine for continuity. The Compressor comes on, hums for a little while and then clicks off. The Fridge does not get cool because the compressor shuts off. I then decided to test the Thermostat controller and that tests fine with my meter also. Any other suggestions ? Could the Thermostat be bad which is why the compressor doesn't stay on?

Does anyone have any suggestions???? I'm starting to get really thirsty and want to get this thing running ASAP..

Hot wire the T-stat if it's mechanical and see if the compress runs non stop like it should. The T-stat will have 2 or 3 wires attached to it. If 3 the 3rd is a ground wire. Unplug the other two from T-stat and connect them together making a closed circuit this takes control away from the T-stat so the compressor should run non stop.

Comment

The compressor sounds like it is locked up or stalled. Why did you recharge the unit & how much did you put in it? Did the compressor run before you charged the system? If you put too much refrigerant into the system it can overload the compressor. You can try installing a 3-in-1 start kit but there is no guarantee it will fix your problem. http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pr...ap4503017.html

THE ICEMAN
      Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 11-11-2016, 12:04 AM.
      My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
      "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
      -Dave Barry-
      "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
      Strong beer is the milk of the old."
      -Martin Luther-

Comment

I had to recharge the system because the previous owner was defrosting it with a screwdriver and poked a hole in the coil/cooling plate. I patched the hole and brazed on a 134a 1/4" A/C valve. I then took it to a Mechanics garage and had it checked to see if it would hold a vacuum. It did so we then vacuumed the line out and then charged it with the amount of coolant on the specs. It seems to sound like it is running but then I hear the overload click in and then shuts down. I thought about the 3 in 1 but not sure how to wire that in. Do you know of any websites the show it being connected to an Igloo 6.0 cu ft kegerator?

I think I'll also try bypassing the T-stat first.

Thanks for the info.

By the way Iceman, LOVE the KILLER KEGERATOR!!!! looks AWESOME!!

Comment

Anyone know what parts will work in an IGLOO 6.0 Cu ft. Kegerator? I know my Kenmore appliances can use Frigidaire parts. Can't find anything about what will work in an IGLOO brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausagefing81 View Post
            I had to recharge the system because the previous owner was defrosting it with a screwdriver and poked a hole in the coil/cooling plate. I patched the hole and brazed on a 134a 1/4" A/C valve. I then took it to a Mechanics garage and had it checked to see if it would hold a vacuum. It did so we then vacuumed the line out and then charged it with the amount of coolant on the specs. It seems to sound like it is running but then I hear the overload click in and then shuts down. I thought about the 3 in 1 but not sure how to wire that in. Do you know of any websites the show it being connected to an Igloo 6.0 cu ft kegerator?

I think I'll also try bypassing the T-stat first.

Thanks for the info.

By the way Iceman, LOVE the KILLER KEGERATOR!!!! looks AWESOME!!
            Thanks for the comment on my KILLER KEGERATOR, it was a fun build.

If a hole was poked in the evaporator as you say, that may be the source of your problem. It's good that you had the unit under vacuum before you recharged it but if the filter/drier was not replaced you may have moisture in the system. Those units run on the newer refrigerants & use an oil that is hygroscopic meaning they will suck up moisture like a sponge. Moisture can cause ice to form blocking the capillary tube which can cause a back pressure on the high side leading to a compressor overload.

How long does the compressor run before it kicks out? Does the compressor run for a short time & then kick out or does it just go 'buzz, click'? If you have an ammeter you can clip it onto one of the power leads to the compressor & get a reading. If it is pulling amperage close to the LRA rating on the compressor data plate, you most likely have a locked up compressor. There is a wiring diagram on the 3 in 1, it's pretty simple if you choose to go that way. Just take off the start components & you should find three posts on the compressor - start, run & common. Connect the color coded wires to the corresponding posts & then the two black wires to the power source.

If it does turn out to be the compressor locked up it would probably not be worth fixing. I think those units are only worth about $450 bucks new.

THE ICEMAN
            Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 11-12-2016, 03:19 PM.
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

Originally posted by Sausagefing81
              The fridge was hooked up to a A/C machine that is used to clean and recharge Aircrafts, all computerized. We put it through the entire cycle of pulling a vacuum and all that. The Compressor turns on and hums for 10 to 20 seconds and then Clicks off. I tried to Bypass the T-stat this morning/ afternoon before work and it did the same thing, hums and then clicks off. I'm wondering if the 3 in 1 start is even worth trying at this point???

My meter is real basic and I'm know nothing about electricity and wiring except that it can be very harmful if you touch the wrong stuff.
              Does it do the 10 to 20 second thing every time it resets or just after it has sit for a time? If it does the 'buzz, click' the next time it resets it may be the ice forming, the system building up pressure & the ice does not have time to melt before it resets. If it does the 10 to 20 second thing every time it's possible that the start relay may be sticking. In that case you might want to try a 3 in 1... For $15 to $20 bucks, it's worth a shot.

THE ICEMAN
              -Dave Barry-
              -Martin Luther-

Comment

Well I got the 3 in 1 installed and gave it a go...It turned on and started to hum for about 10 seconds and then clicked out. I waited to see what would happen and after about 2 1/2 minutes it clicked on again with the hum sound. That last again about 10 seconds and then click off. I left it go for a another two cycles and was tapping on the compressor housing with a hammer in hopes of freeing it up. All my efforts were a NO GO. I felt the compressor and it wasn't even warm or anything. The interior of the refrig. had no change either. Nothing appeared to overheat either....VERY FRUSTRATING!!

Just don't know if there is anything else to try before I scape the project.

Really getting irritated with this project but looking back my expenses have been low. The 3 in 1 kit was only $6.60 here plus the Start relay was $4.00 on Amazon.

This sucks because I really wanted to fix this. It was the perfect size, a 6.0

Comment

Unfortunately. it sounds like that compressor is DOA. At least you didn't have to dig too deep in your wallet.

THE ICEMAN
                  -Dave Barry-
                  -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
                  X