Punctured Hole in Evaporator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctured Hole in Evaporator

Well, I feel like an idiot because while chipping away at ice today in the back of my kegerator, I managed to puncture a small hole in the evaporator, spraying freon everywhere. It seems that this is something others have done, and I have read some other posts on the topic, but figured I would see if anyone has any recent experience with the problem. The model is a Summit SBC-490-BISSTB. I called the local appliance guy who quoted me a price of $250 for the job, but didn't guarantee success. He also suggested maybe ordering a replacement evaporator, because he wasn't sure epoxy would work. I would be happy if he could fix it for $250 + $100 for a new evaporator, but is that a realistic successful repair job? I don't want to pay $1100 for a whole new unit. Thanks for any thoughts.

First of all, welcome to the forum...
    The problem is a bit larger than just replacing the evaporator. With the refrigerants that are used today, 134a in your case, the oil used in the system is hygroscopic. This means that if a system such as yours is open to the atmosphere it can suck up moisture like a sponge - not good.
    Even if you do find someone that can replace the evaporator for that price you run the danger of moisture in the system if he does not take proper steps. You may be fortunate & have no problems after the repair but if there are problems, its not an easy fix.
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks Iceman, I appreciate the timely feedback. I will mention your concerns to the repairman when he comes out here. It sounds as if I may need a whole new unit. I will keep my fingers crossed and hopes up for the time being though. Best, Matt

Comment

Well, I called Summit and they have the replacement evaporator for $165. I've also found two refrigerator repairmen who say that they can do the job. Summit also said its a fixable problem. I'm a but nervous proceeding as the whole job will be pricey, but it seems like it is worth a shot. I will keep the forum posted.

Comment

Working...
        X