Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 PSI ID is perfect equilibrium at the keg. Add one to two PSI for "push" to compensate for an open faucet. Sea level is defined as 1' to 1000'. Adjust one PSI for every 2000' difference above sea level. You may want to target 14 PSIG @ 38F.
    Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Mr. Zuhse,

Forgive my ignorance....but what do you mean by the "push" to compensate for an open faucet? That's a ROT to add that 1 or 2 PSI to give a little extra pressure to help the flow when you open the faucet to poor the beer?

So in essence when you get the "Practical Pressure Setting" from the Maintaining Draft Beer Equilibrium website you add 1 or 2 PSI to that and then any elevation adjustments? So what you did here in my case was split the difference, ie: essentially adding 1.5 PSI for the "push" and a 1/2 PSI for the extra 500' above the definition of SL?

Thanks!

Comment

There is a pressure drop when the faucet is opened and this requires slight compensation. Most home dispensers utilize one for push (retailers use two due to higher volume) and in your case another for the elevation (1001'-3000'), thus two additional. The 12 PSI is what a 2.6 v/v beer exerts @ 38F - gas in beer stays put as does the gas in the head space. If you desire to adjust your regulator to 13.5, great. Not as accurate or easy with a 0 - 60 range gauge. Try replacing it with a 0-30 gauge. Heck of alot easier to adjust to a specific pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Big12Cy View Post
          Below is what I received from New Belgium Brewing regarding settings for Fat Tire. The PSI seems extremely high to me, but I received this exact same response on two different inquiries.
          Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for the email. Here is the information you requested:

PSI 16-20lbs.. Ideal 18lbs
          Ideal temp 38-40 degrees F
          IGP (gauge pressure) 16-18...17 ideal

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!
          Tiffany
          Employee Owner
          New Belgium Brewing Company
          500 Linden
          Ft. Collins, CO 80524
          Welcome to Facebook | Facebook

-----Original Message-----
          From: no-reply@newbelgium.com [mailto:no-reply@newbelgium.com]
          Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 12:04 PM
          To: nbb
          Subject: [Questions] CO2 Volumes - Fat Tire

XXXXXXXXXX sent a message using the contact form at
          Contact | New Belgium.

Hello,
          I have a home kegerator and want to ensure I am dispensing the keg correctly.
          What is the recommended CO2 volume for Fat Tire.
          If you provide this information, I can adjust the temperature and pressure
          accordingly.
          Thanks
          Fat Tire is a 2.5 v/v beer. Confirmed today by New Belgium owner. If you reside at sea level @ 38F beer temp., apply 12PSIG for home dispensing.

Comment

Much appreciated Mr. Zuhse! That makes sense...was just making sure I understood correctly...much easier to remember/learn if you have the concept, versus just memorizing the numbers.

14 PSI it is!

Comment

Use a calibrated thermometer to determine accurate beer temperature!

Comment

Blue Point Hoptical

From brewmaster: Thanks for getting in touch with us. The beer is kegged at 2.42 vols. As far as temperature goes I would recommend around 45 degrees. That lets the hop flavor come out more.

Comment

I like what I've been seeing quite a few of the previous posts. Maybe the mods can change the thread title, or start a new list of beers vol/vol CO2, and then post the draft equilibirum webpage so everyone can figure out their pressure based on temp.

Two more I haven't seen:
                  Anchor Steam: 2.6 vol/vol
                  Bell's Oberon: 2.7 vol/vol

John
                  Nostalgia Electric Kegerator - heavily modified
                  MM dual gauge regulator
                  MM coupler
                  8" beer line
                  Perlick no drip faucet

Kegs RIP: Dos Equis Lager, Anchor Steam, MGD, Budweiser
                  Current: Bell's Oberon

Comment

Originally posted by jpasiczn View Post
                    I like what I've been seeing quite a few of the previous posts. Maybe the mods can change the thread title, or start a new list of beers vol/vol CO2, and then post the draft equilibirum webpage so everyone can figure out their pressure based on temp.

Two more I haven't seen:
                    Anchor Steam: 2.6 vol/vol
                    Bell's Oberon: 2.7 vol/vol

John

I second that!!! I know someone somewhere out there has to have a list or spreadsheet with all of this information neatly compiled together for us to put to good use :-)

-Rob
                    Last edited by jones'n; 05-18-2010, 01:23 PM.
                    Currently on tap: Another schweet 1/2 of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Fond Memories: 1/2 Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, 1/2 Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, 1/2 Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, 1/2 Sierra Nevada Summerfest, 1/4 Yuengling (2), 1/6 Sam Adams Summer Ale, 1/6 Bud American Ale, 1/6 Shock Top, 1/6 Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale

"To alcohol: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer Simpson

Comment

I wonder why the manufacturers don't just write this information on the keg label?

2.6 v/v

those in the know would understand what it means. the rest won't care.
                      Alan in PA

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread! In order to keep all the info in one organized thread, please continue to share your findings in the new Beer Carbonation thread, which is "stickied" at the top of this forum.

Let's keep the list growing!
                        Mark Borland, Micro Matic USA

Comment

Working...
                        X