This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lunkhead View Post
    Scott had posted this earlier, thought it would be useful here. Thanks Scott. http://www.zahmnagel.com/pdf/SS-60.pdf
    or there's this one...

Maintaining Draft Beer Equilibrium

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I have posted to that link before in the past also but it only rounds the vol of co2 to the 10th. Also a while back edramshaw had sent out a chart via e-mail to anyone who wanted it as an .xls. Here's a scanned copy with the vol of co2 to the 100th.BeerCO2.jpg Thanks ed.

Comment

Most certainly a thread which can be searched for respective CO2 volumes would be ideal. Or possibly a list that we can post on MM's site. We have to be careful with such lists or posts as the information must be verified. Some of the members' post noted that the brewmaster or a reply email from a brewery was received with the respective v/v specification for that brand of beer. This is ideal and should be noted with the posts.

We must refrain from acquiring PSIG requirements as these can be very misleading since during communication with the brewer temperature may not be addressed. Volume specification and the use of the equilibrium charts is "best practice". Always add up to two pounds "push pressure" above equilibrium for PSIG (pounds per square inch gauge).

Any suggestions as to how we incorporate this into the forum would be greatly appreciated.

Note: we have to be very careful when we state that the system "works". We must define this in terms of a draught dispensing system such that minimal waste / foam is realized and most importantly, the beer tastes fantastic throughout the life of the keg. Just having clear beer coming out of the faucet does not cut it! Flat beer come out of the faucet clear as well as a system that has not been cleaned properly.
        Last edited by Scott Zuhse; 07-30-2009, 04:07 PM.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Scott,

I've been giving the question of how to present this information some thought and decided the best way to do it, if MM was willing, would be to incorporate it into the already existing table that shows coupler types by beer, to make it "one stop shopping."

Also, especially if that data were presented in this way, I would think posting only volumes that came from the brewery should be included. Maybe values verified by MM could be marked with an asterisk or something.

Finally, I have a question: it seems you're a proponent of a liquid temperature of 38 degrees for beer in general and maybe that's for simplicity's sake, because you feel it's the One True Temperature, or just because it's a good, happy medium. In any case, I've been following your advice and maintaining that temperature, with excellent results. However, I've read a couple posts that would suggest different temperatures for different beer types -- a little cooler for lagers, maybe, and a little warmer for some ales -- and I wondered if I should have asked the brewery for an ideal temperature as well as CO2 in volumes. What's your take on this? If there really are different serving temperatures for different beers, I would think you'd want to include that information as well.

Comment

Great suggestions. I'll forward these on to web architects.

38F beer temp. is ideal since it is a very stable temperature for the CO2 carbonation in the beer. Less likely for the beer to degas and for the beer to absorb excess gas.

Additionally, through the breweries' flavor profiling research conducted over the decades, the same number seems to appear as to what the average North American consumer deems beer to be most desirable - 38F.

Most certainly the temperature that you the consumer enjoy your products, whatever style beer, is totally up to you. The challenge though is how to dispense two different temperatures, if so desired, from the same piece of refrigeration. This has been accomplished on a limited basis at retail with air cooled shaft systems.

If the product is very cold, this may be an issue since the carbonation will not release naturally as it is dispensed. The beer in the glass actually appears flat. When consumed, the gas releases and fills you up. Of course, this can easily be rectified by a couple of body functions. Otherwise, you will become full after a couple of beers.
            Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
              When consumed, the gas releases and fills you up. Of course, this can easily be rectified by a couple of body functions. Otherwise, you will become full after a couple of beers.
              This made me chuckle. Very clever for us to have redundant systems, eh?

Thanks for the information. I'll stick with 38 degrees.

Comment

Does anyone know the reccomended Volumes for Yuengling beers (Lager, Black & Tan, Premium, etc.)?
                "For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and it's laughable."

Comment

Originally posted by smores View Post
                  Does anyone know the reccomended Volumes for Yuengling beers (Lager, Black & Tan, Premium, etc.)?
                  There have been several threads concerning this question, though this one seems especially authoritative:

http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...ing-lager.html

Comment

Originally posted by imnlfn View Post
                    There have been several threads concerning this question, though this one seems especially authoritative:

http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...ing-lager.html
                    Thanks! Sorry, should have searched...
                    "For Barack Obama to argue that he's experienced enough to be president because he's running for president is desperate circular logic and it's laughable."

Comment

Magic Hat Circus Boy

Here are the specs from the brewery for Magic Hat Circus Boy:

The kegs are packaged at 15 psi and at 36 degrees. The volume of co2 for Circus Boy is 2.65.

I hope this helps!
                      HOME OF THE 6 TIME WORLD CHAMPION PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Comment

Great Lakes

All of Great Lakes beers are brewed with 2.65 v/v of co2....this came from Luke at the brewery......

Hope this helps too!

Comment

Bell's Two Hearted Ale.... from the horses mouth

We carbonate our kegs to 2.5 volumes of co2

Gary S. Nichols
                          Quality Assurance & Control
                          Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I received an email from Spaten USA for Spaten Oktoberfest at Sea Level: 44 degrees & 18 PSI

Here is some more info that has worked well for me at home, your mileage may vary - I got most of this from other threads here at the MM forum:

My setup: Sea Level. Sanyo Kegerator. Air Cooled Tower. ~5' beer line

Coors Light (no Z Label): 2.9 - 36deg, 14 PSI
                            Miller Light: 2.6 - 38deg, 12 PSI
                            Harp: 2.6 - 38deg, 12 PSI
                            Smithwicks: 2.7 - 38deg, 13 PSI
                            Dos Equis Lager: 2.7 - 38deg, 13 PSI
                            "All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Comment

Bridgeport IPA

Does anyone have the carbonation level for Bridgeport IPA in volumes? I have it set at 13 psi and 38 degrees, but I just read something that would suggest it's carbonated less than most.

Thanks!

Comment

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

2.6 v/v as told to me by a a guy who works in their taproom/brewery..........

Comment

Working...
                                X