Frozen...and sad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen...and sad

A while back my kegerator broke. No bigs, I bought a fridge from a neighbor and viola a new kegerator. Well, the kegerator I had before was specifically for kegs. This is a fridge that was retrofitted. Anyways, I went out of town for a weekend and when I came back there was beer on the bottom of my fridge. I had plenty of beer left in the kegs so I didn't care too much considering I was very busy. However, when the kegs ran dry I replaced the plywood shelf (which had frozen rings of beer on it) and cleaned it all out. I figured one of the clamps wasn't too tight so I torqued everything down.

Well, I got new kegs Wednesday and I now have beer on the new piece of plywood as well as small amounts on the floor of the fridge. In addition to that I have residue on the side of the kegs where it appears that some beer leaked out where the taps are. Anyways, my wife's keg of blue moon (not a new keg since Wednesday) went empty last night. I figured that today would be a good time to investigate everything. Well, turns out the blue moon has a bunch of ice inside the keg. I realize the beer is wasted at this point but what the heck?! I don't have a water thermometer but I have the fridge set to 5 out of 6 (6 being coldest) and I'm concerned that my Bell's Two Hearted and Odell's IPA will freeze/leak causing me to feel pain directly in my wallet. I'm sure it's not the taps as I've never had this issue before but I am wondering if anyone has had this problem where the beer becomes frozen, expands, and then comes out of the keg somehow. The lines aren't frozen which has me even more puzzled since I would guess that the rubber lines would freeze first.

Where would you start? What would you do? Please help.

Thanks
    Paul

I'm assuming you believe it is a freezing issue because you can shake the keg and hear ice inside. I'd invest in a thermometer and see for sure what the temperature is set at. If your pour temperature is above 28, I'd suspect the fridge thermostat is malfunctioning and failing to turn off the compressor from time to time.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
      I'm assuming you believe it is a freezing issue because you can shake the keg and hear ice inside. I'd invest in a thermometer and see for sure what the temperature is set at. If your pour temperature is above 28, I'd suspect the fridge thermostat is malfunctioning and failing to turn off the compressor from time to time.
      Yes, I can shake the keg and hear the ice.
      I have other liquids inside of the fridge that are not frozen such as powerade, juice boxes and applesauce packets that are not frozen. That's why I am confused.
      As for the thermometer, would a regular digital thermometer that you use to check one's body temperature work?

Comment

l doubt your leaks are from the frozen keg. I have frozen a keg solid with not a drop being spilled. Get a liquid thermometer at the grocery store, clearly your beer is below 32. Is this a side by side fridge? They are notoriously colder along the side of the freezer.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

No side by side. Old school top freezer.
          I am waiting for my amazon delivery.
          So... you're saying the leak must be from elsewhere? Like in the lines, at clamps or something like that? I'll do my best to find the leak.

Comment

That's what I'm saying. If you have liquid in the keg before you untap crank the pressure up to 40 and see if you can find the leak.

Comment

So the leak isn't beer. Apparently the Keg has condensation forming near the tap, which leaks down the side, pools near/around the keg and freezes on the plywood shelf or drips down to the bottom of the fridge. Anyways, that still doesn't explain the freezing of the Blue Moon. I believe it's 5.4% ABV....I'm still waiting on the thermometer to arrive in the mail to give accurate liquid temps. I will keep you posted.

Comment

The only thing that explains the keg freezing is that it is below 32F in there, unless this used fridge has special properties that allow it alter the laws of physics.

Comment

Originally posted by idontlikespam1942 View Post
                  Well, turns out the blue moon has a bunch of ice inside the keg. I realize the beer is wasted at this point but what the heck?!
                  Oh hell no! That keg is not ruined. I froze over a keg a couple of months ago, and I revived it using help from the posters here, see below:

That revived keg is still going strong and tastes great after two months.

Comment

Working...
                  X