Power Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Failures

We got an Edgestar front vent kegerator 3 months ago, and have discovered that every time our power flickers off even for a second, it doesn't turn back on. All other electronics and appliances immediately come back on. We first discovered this when we went on vacation and returned home to warm, flat beer and had to throw out 2 kegs of beer. With our Florida summer storms the power flickers off regularly. Is there any fix for this?

What are you doing to get it going again after the power flickers?
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
      What are you doing to get it going again after the power flickers?
      We just have to press the power button to turn it back on, then reset the temperature. The problem is that we may be gone and not even know the powe has gone off when we get home. So we have to try to remember to check it constantly to see if it's on. I just happened to be home last week when 2 times the power flicked off for a second, and sure enough the kegerator didn't turn back on. We paid $1600 for this, and shouldn't have to deal with something like this.

Comment

It has a power button? Likely a built in surge protector of some sort trying to prevent you from losing a $1600 appliance. I'd call and ask their tech support folks if there is an option to by pass it if you would prefer to run the risk.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Out of curiosity, I googled an Edgestar manual. This power button business seems pointless on such an otherwise nice unit. It would take a very large UPS I'd imagine to keep an appliance like this powered during a prolonged power outage, but for the short on off power outages it would perhaps stop the nuisance power problems. I'd thoroughly research this first though before trying that.
          Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
          but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

K4man,
            Had the same problem with cable box and short outages, every time the power kicks, cable box takes 20+ minutes to reboot. Problem is high vs. low amperage device, don't think a UPS can handle a high amperage device for long periods of time. My assumption is the need is when OP isn't there to monitor kegerator.
            I would check with electricians and see alternatives check out this site regarding power outages and solutions:

I was looking into using power inverters to power household appliances when faced with extended power outages, most say just run lines to car via an inverter and charge batteries by starting your car. Honestly I think OP wants some sort of system to run power to kegerator when OP's home was unoccupied. I think the page linked might have some ideas but if it were me I'd contact an electrician.
            Others are right it really shouldn't have a power button, older PC's BIOS had a setting to turn PC back on when effected by a power outage, can't find a BIOS anymore that will do this, now have to turn power strip on and turn power on at computer. Even the old Danbys with electronic thermostats didn't have a power button, definitely an engineering fail for a cooling device.
            KB

Comment

KB, I've got over 30 years of industrial control experience and from your frequent misleading of posters wanting to do electrical modifications, I think I know a bit more about "high amperage devices" than you think I may. If this were my unit, and I needed to keep it on during a brief drop in power while I was not home so I didn't come home two days later to warm beer I would use the UPS. We keep the controls on extrusion lines up in our North Florida facility with off the shelf UPS systems. If it is a five or six hour power outage like the last time I was down south, yes the UPS wouldn't work. However for the sake of "well this guy on the forums said it would work" I urged the original poster to research it himself.
              Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
              but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Well, it may be but Edgestart is a good brand.... but not all brands are 100% free from such electrical faults...

Admin: http://inverterreview.com/
                Last edited by vpdavid; 09-09-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

This will seem like over kill at 1st but think about it. For like 5 grand they have generator that kick on before power is spiked or lost. They run on city gas or country LP and will take over all you're power needs as long as you keep gas running to them. 5 grand seems like a lot but If you live in hurricane alley if seems like having the ability to kill 2 birds with one stone;1 keep the beer flowing. 2 be the only house on the block with still power on.

Comment

Originally posted by psychodad View Post
                    I'd thoroughly research this first though before trying that.
                    I totally agree with you.
                    Last edited by psychodad; 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM. Reason: Removed hyperlink to spam

Comment

Originally posted by vpdavid View Post
                      Well, it may be but Edgestart is a good brand.... but not all brands are 100% free from such electrical faults...

Admin: http://inverterreview.com/
                      Thanks for your help, i will discuss it with an electrician near me and then ask to have it for me.

Comment

Interesting thread! The problem is not in supplier, energy power?

Comment

The problem was already solved, so I don't think. Read the posts above. If it' about the supplier, noope..BTW i have found recently an interesting website http://usave.co.uk where you can compare the energy prices,. It so cool, I tried. It worked, so I pay enough. Even though I could change to another supplier but it's not necessary. See there guys if you are interested, just for fun
                          Last edited by LiLimoon; 07-17-2020, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X