Is my kegerator broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my kegerator broken?

Hello! This is my first post although I have been lurking these forums for the past 3-4 months. I am having an issue with my kegerator freezing up. I own a Kegco HS-199SS that is near 3 years old.

Here is what I have done to date:
    1. My beer was foamy. I visited this website and found ways to diagnose. I checked temperature etc and found that my regulator (cheap, old, damaged) wasn't keeping the correct psi and would climb excessively.
    2. I bought a new regulator. The new regulator is a 2 product governor from the Northern Brewer.
    3. Everything worked great for a month or two. I then decided that I was going to take the CO2 tank and regulator and put them on the exterior of my kegerator, which would in turn give me more room inside and make it easier to adjust/confirm PSI as needed.
    ----when doing this, I had to remove a rubber 'plug' that was on the back of my kegerator which allowed me to put the air hose through the body of the kegerator itself.
    4. Everything is good for another couple of weeks.
    5. Beer started to foam again. I found that the temperature wasn't up to par. I then later removed the keg and found that the pipe that connects from the 'cold plate' to the compressor was freezing up. This had never happened before. Previously I have had frost build up on the 'cold plate' but not in this specific area. Therefore I removed the keg permanently, defrosted everything, dried everything and then put a bowl of rice in the kegerator to hopefully absorb the moisture.
    ---Note that the area where frost buildup was located adjacent to where the CO2 line exited the kegerator. Therefore I replaced the rubber 'plug' before plugging in the kegerator.
    6. It's been almost 24 hours and the kegerator is freezing up in the same place. I think it's too early to tell what the final water temp will be but the water is in the mid 60's. The compressor is running but not cooling.

What is causing all of this frost build up?
    Is it possible that something other than this frost buildup is causing the kegerator to stay warm?
    I called Kegco's customer service and they had no idea what would cause that and said I should call an appliance tech to diagnose the issue. I was hoping someone here could provide some insight before it comes to that.

This is my first post, I attempted to upload a photo of the area that's freezing.

Thank you
    Attached Files

idontlikespam1942,
    Yup, most likely the problem is the gap between CO2 line and body isn't tight enough allowing outside moist air in and icing up cold plate. Ice on plate will reduce efficiency of cold plate.
    Try and find convenient place on CO2 line where you have enough slack on both sides and mark inside and outside, pull out where you can see both marks. Take a new roll of electrical tape and create a wedge so the CO2 line will stop when pulled from inside, if goes through add more till it plugged.
    If this doesn't solve the icing problem, try using a timer to turn unit off a couple of hours in the early morning, or run a fan across cold plate.
    Best to keep thermostat at about 3/4 of full, the CO2 line should have a fairly large OD, if too small you may need to replace with larger.
    If you have any more problems post beer, PSI, modifications made and thermostat setting.
    BTW if that is the beer line in pic, it might need replacing and you might need to clean beer line more often.
    KB

Comment

KillianBoy: That sounds like a great idea about the electrical tape! I was thinking of using spray foam insulation but couldn't think of a good way to apply it. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

As for the beer lines, I rinse and soak lines with BLC between each keg but the lines are around 3 years old. You're probably right. I'll pick up some new hose soon.

Point PleasantNJBeerguy: It looks like the refrigerant is low? How can you tell? My compressor is awfully hot and almost always running. edit: I just saw your post on another forum which stated that frost on a line was indicative of a low charge. However, I recall while living in Phoenix that if I turned my t stat to the lowest temp and the house hadn't ran the a/c for a while because I was out of town during the summer the copper insulated lines to the a/c could freeze then too. I am an admitted ignorant fool when it comes to hvac and refrigeration so any information that you could provide that would educate me would be terrific.
      Last edited by idontlikespam1942; 07-01-2015, 02:37 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by idontlikespam1942 View Post
        Hello! This is my first post although I have been lurking these forums for the past 3-4 months. I am having an issue with my kegerator freezing up. I own a Kegco HS-199SS that is near 3 years old...

5. Beer started to foam again. I found that the temperature wasn't up to par. I then later removed the keg and found that the pipe that connects from the 'cold plate' to the compressor was freezing up. This had never happened before. Previously I have had frost build up on the 'cold plate' but not in this specific area. Therefore I removed the keg permanently, defrosted everything, dried everything and then put a bowl of rice in the kegerator to hopefully absorb the moisture.
        ---Note that the area where frost buildup was located adjacent to where the CO2 line exited the kegerator. Therefore I replaced the rubber 'plug' before plugging in the kegerator...

...What is causing all of this frost build up?
        Is it possible that something other than this frost buildup is causing the kegerator to stay warm?
        I called Kegco's customer service and they had no idea what would cause that and said I should call an appliance tech to diagnose the issue. I was hoping someone here could provide some insight before it comes to that.

This is my first post, I attempted to upload a photo of the area that's freezing.

Thank you
        First of all, welcome to the forum.

Given the pic that you provided, I think that PPNJBeerguy is right on in his assessment. The hole that you opened in the cabinet would not cause a frost pattern like shown in the pic. Take a look at the area of your pic I circled...

When you defrosted the cold plate, did you perchance chip away the ice with a screwdriver or similar? If so, it looks like you have damaged the evaporator plate (cold plate) & the refrigerant is leaking out. On this type of unit it is not repairable without replacing the evaporator, not an easy task given that they are aluminum & probably not a cost effective solution. Good luck.

THE ICEMAN
        Attached Files
        Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 07-01-2015, 03:26 PM. Reason: Added goodness
        My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
        "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
        -Dave Barry-
        "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
        Strong beer is the milk of the old."
        -Martin Luther-

Comment

Iceman: I don't think that the ice ever got that high on the plate nor did I use any tools to scrape the ice off. That said, the CO2 tank did fall over a couple few many times and possible nicked that plate. After checking the plate, there are more scratches like that elsewhere.

So being that refrigerant is possibly leaking at these areas, would adding coolant be in vain?

Also, I know I shouldn't open the door too often but I just took another picture when I looked for other scratches/dents on the cold plate. Things have gotten wetter.
          Attached Files

Comment

There is no doubt that the open hole in back would pull in extra moisture from outside but if you say you put the plug back in & it is still frosting the same way then you have a different problem other than outside moisture. If it were just outside moisture then the entire evaporator would be frosting.

Adding refrigerant would only temporarily solve the problem if it were low. Another possibility is that you have a restriction in the evaporator. You'll notice on the evaporator that the tubing necks down just before it leaves the plate & that is pretty much where where the frost pattern starts.

It is difficult to diagnose something like that just over a forum but my guess is it would be one of the two conditions - low refrigerant or a restriction.

​THE ICEMAN
            "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
            -Dave Barry-
            -Martin Luther-

Comment

idontlikespam1942,
              I based my assessment upon the fact that you went from inside to outside, then 10-14 days later than iced over in that area.
              All I am asking is that just try and see, wrap some electrical tape and see what happens. If it doesn't help. so be it, then try add refrigerant, replace parts and the icing is just a coincidence when you changed out the tank. Could be something dented cold plate, but OP says didn't chip that high.
              All I am saying is just give sealing unit a try and see, if it doesn't work than try something else.
              KB

Comment

KB--No doubt. I left everything plugged in for another 24 hours and everything frosted up at the same place. I am now defrosting the kegerator. The plug is back in with electrical tape on it so no air can get in/out. Once I thoroughly dry this bad boy out I will plug it back in and report what I find. I do think that I am out a kegerator though.

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
                idontlikespam1942,
                I based my assessment upon the fact that you went from inside to outside, then 10-14 days later than iced over in that area.
                All I am asking is that just try and see, wrap some electrical tape and see what happens. If it doesn't help. so be it, then try add refrigerant, replace parts and the icing is just a coincidence when you changed out the tank. Could be something dented cold plate, but OP says didn't chip that high.
                All I am saying is just give sealing unit a try and see, if it doesn't work than try something else.
                KB

Comment

idontlikespam1942,
                  When you see the ice build up, post picture of the ice, from what I've seen here low refrigerant causes isolated icing in just one part of the refrigerant lines, humid air usually goes across the whole width of cold plate. With keg I have had it go from the top down, empty, I've seen go from the bottom up.
                  KB

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                    There is no doubt that the open hole in back would pull in extra moisture from outside but if you say you put the plug back in & it is still frosting the same way then you have a different problem other than outside moisture. If it were just outside moisture then the entire evaporator would be frosting.

Adding refrigerant would only temporarily solve the problem if it were low. Another possibility is that you have a restriction in the evaporator. You'll notice on the evaporator that the tubing necks down just before it leaves the plate & that is pretty much where where the frost pattern starts.

It is difficult to diagnose something like that just over a forum but my guess is it would be one of the two conditions - low refrigerant or a restriction.

​THE ICEMAN
                    Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
                    idontlikespam1942,
                    When you see the ice build up, post picture of the ice, from what I've seen here low refrigerant causes isolated icing in just one part of the refrigerant lines, humid air usually goes across the whole width of cold plate. With keg I have had it go from the top down, empty, I've seen go from the bottom up.
                    KB
                    Hey KB, have you not been reading this thread? You just proceeded to say what I have already said. Earlier you speculated that something may have hit the evaporator plate when the OP had already stated as much.

I have tried being polite with you by using the PMs, now it's time to call you out. Stop padding your post count by making comments about which you have no background. Until you have 25 years experience in working on refrigeration systems, as I do, then please refrain from commenting. So far all you display is a propensity for repeating what you have read about.

To the OP, apologies for hijacking your thread.

THE ICEMAN
                    -Dave Barry-
                    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Lol maybe he is drunk posting...
                      Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
                      Hey KB, have you not been reading this thread? You just proceeded to say what I have already said. Earlier you speculated that something may have hit the evaporator plate when the OP had already stated as much.

I have tried being polite with you by using the PMs, now it's time to call you out. Stop padding your post count by making comments about which you have no background. Until you have 25 years experience in working on refrigeration systems, as I do, then please refrain from commenting. So far all you display is a propensity for repeating what you have read about.

To the OP, apologies for hijacking your thread.

THE ICEMAN
                      What I got:
                      Beverage Air #BM23
                      with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
                      -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
                      -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
                      -MM S/S Keg Couplers
                      YouTube video of the goods

Comment

So.....kegerator is low on refrigerant. Due to this appliance being a 'disposable' unit I'm out of luck. The fix is not worth the expense. I was thinking of going all crazy and getting a commercial unit to replace this item but I'm moving in the spring. I'd rather build a keezer for now and get a commercial one later with remote dispense set up on a bar or countertop.

Thanks for all of the input, redundant or not.

Comment

Working...
                        X