Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer does not remain in keg tap line.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beer does not remain in keg tap line.

    I'm kinda new to this and I've been researching and cannot find an answer to my problem. After a pour from the tap, the beer rushes back into the keg and does not remain in the tap line. Is this a problem? My pours are perfect and I have no other issues. Everyone I talk to has beer in the lines though. I'm also thinking that over time this will make my beer go flat, usually I don't give it time to go flat though . Does anyone else have this happening to them?

    Thank you.

  • #2
    Swalker818,
    Depending on system don't know what is going on, if a standard kegerator, with commercial keg and it is still stock, the beer will never go back in keg, might be a optical illusion (CO2 moving to area by keg).
    If you still need help post brand and make and if still stock, modifications made, PSI setting, beer (commercial or homebrew), type of keg, main question would be, Did you fill CO2 tank before starting?, Is tank still full or not empty? If corny keg, is it set up correctly? If you need more help pictures or video might help us help you.
    KB
    Last edited by KillianBoy; 06-28-2015, 03:03 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      You should also have a check ball in your coupler to prevent back flow.
      What I got:
      Beverage Air #BM23
      with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
      -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
      -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
      -MM S/S Keg Couplers
      YouTube video of the goods

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
        Swalker818,
        Depending on system don't know what is going on, if a standard kegerator, with commercial keg and it is still stock, the beer will never go back in keg, might be a optical illusion (CO2 moving to area by keg).
        If you still need help post brand and make and if still stock, modifications made, PSI setting, beer (commercial or homebrew), type of keg, main question would be, Did you fill CO2 tank before starting?, Is tank still full or not empty? If corny keg, is it set up correctly? If you need more help pictures or video might help us help you.
        KB
        I have an edge star kc2000 that is all stock, I've been on bud light recently running around 10 psi, I have also tried 8 and 12psi. The co2 tank is definitely not empty. The beer definitely is going back into the keg though. I'm just worried it will skunk the beer. All I really know is that I have an American sanky tap with whatever type of keg bud light and miller light comes in. I appreciate the response, this weekend I will take a video of a pour and what happens.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PointPleasantNJBeerguy View Post
          You should also have a check ball in your coupler to prevent back flow.
          How would I go about making sure it is working or fixing it? Thanks for the response.

          Comment


          • #6
            Swalker818,
            If your coupler has these 2 parts (spring and torpedo looking thing) and is working properly, beer shouldn't go back into keg, beer in line may go back into coupler but not keg.
            So does ALL of beer in line go back into coupler/keg?
            If you are certain you have gas, check the gas coming from the regulator, tug on pressure relief valve on regulator, if no hiss, then no gas, then check gas at coupler, disengage coupler (lever in up position), pull on PRV, should have a even loud hiss, if no hiss, check the gas check valve (thingee between coupler and gas line).
            Logically if you are applying pressure nothing should be going back toward keg, second picture shows how a keg works.
            KB
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              How long does it take for the line to empty the beer out after you draw a pint? Within seconds or 5 or ten minutes? I think Killian's right what you are seeing is called breakout. Your PSI settings leads me to think you haven't mastered the whole concept of balance yet.

              Tells us the temp. of the beer and we can tell you what psi you should be using.

              I have taken the check ball out of my KC2000 and the beer doesn't flow backwards.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pvs6 View Post
                How long does it take for the line to empty the beer out after you draw a pint? Within seconds or 5 or ten minutes? I think Killian's right what you are seeing is called breakout. Your PSI settings leads me to think you haven't mastered the whole concept of balance yet.

                Tells us the temp. of the beer and we can tell you what psi you should be using.

                I have taken the check ball out of my KC2000 and the beer doesn't flow backwards.
                The beer goes back right away so within seconds, my beer is right around 38 like it should be.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have one of those torpedo things, rubber, in the coupler on the gas side but no spring? Normal?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Swalker818,
                    If torpedo and spring correctly installed beer isn't going back into keg, the gas side is usually a duckbill valve (no spring), kinda looks like a crescent moon with lips, make sure the lips aren't glued shut by beer.
                    So right after pouring a beer, entire contents of beer line disappears into coupler? And the next beer pours perfect, no spurt of gas or heavy foam? Does beer taste flat?
                    If the beer check works, pressure from beer pushes torpedo up as beer flows to faucet, any beer in line will not flow back because any pressure the pushes back toward keg will push check down essentially stopping any flow back to keg.
                    Bud light @ 38 degrees (second glass?) should have 14 PSI applied to keep balance, as pvs6 mentioned the CO2 will break out of solution if 10 PSI is applied, usually this takes a while to happen.
                    I think beer is flat and CO2 isn't getting to beer, did you pull PRV? Does it hiss loudly and constant? What # keg is this?
                    KB

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "my beer is right around 38 like it should be"

                      If only you had a nickel for every time that has come up here.....
                      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
                        Swalker818,
                        If torpedo and spring correctly installed beer isn't going back into keg, the gas side is usually a duckbill valve (no spring), kinda looks like a crescent moon with lips, make sure the lips aren't glued shut by beer.
                        So right after pouring a beer, entire contents of beer line disappears into coupler? And the next beer pours perfect, no spurt of gas or heavy foam? Does beer taste flat?
                        If the beer check works, pressure from beer pushes torpedo up as beer flows to faucet, any beer in line will not flow back because any pressure the pushes back toward keg will push check down essentially stopping any flow back to keg.
                        Bud light @ 38 degrees (second glass?) should have 14 PSI applied to keep balance, as pvs6 mentioned the CO2 will break out of solution if 10 PSI is applied, usually this takes a while to happen.
                        I think beer is flat and CO2 isn't getting to beer, did you pull PRV? Does it hiss loudly and constant? What # keg is this?
                        KB
                        My beer pours perfect every time but yes the beer instantly goes back into the keg through the coupler. I'm not sure if I have the duckbill and spring yet. I know for sure my gas is flowing correctly and it is not clogged anywhere. A guy on here said he doesn't even have the ball stop thing and he has the same kegerator. His works fine. Beer is never foamy or flat but then again I empty the keg in 2 days so it doesn't have time to go flat.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I wouldn't go so far as to say you know for sure something is working because clearly there is an issue here. In a system that is working correctly you do not need the beer check valve, all that does is prevent a mess when you uncouple. That said, the beer should not be going back into the keg if pressure is being applied properly. For the beer to be going back into the keg, the pressure of the beer in the line needs to be high enough that it is able to displace the beer in the keg since the dip tube is all the way at the bottom of the keg.

                          Have you pulled the pressure relief as suggested? What happens?
                          What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I will have another keg in on Friday and I will post videos and pictures of everything suggested. Thanks for taking the time to help so far!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Again, I don't know much but is it possible that when I am switching kegs air is in the lines when I disconnect and turn off the co2, then when I retap and put the pressure on, the air is still somewhere in there. Is that why you are saying pull the pressure relief? To release the air that gained access to the lines and strictly replace it with gas and beer?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X