High Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Pressure

Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've searched the form and can't find a similar issue. I'm running a KEGCO 199b. Currently I have a pony of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in it. As soon as I turn the gass on the pressure skyrockets almost to the point the regulator safety valve pops off. I also get beer shooting out of the keg coupler. This is with the regulator fully closed and the co2 tank barely cracked open. This has happened before with a pony keg as well.

A-Team,
    Welcome, questions and comments, what do you mean by "pressure skyrockets almost to the point the regulator safety valve pops off", what PSI does it settle on and does the pressure release valve actually pop? The previous keg, what was the PSI and did you get to consume the keg or did you return? Are you adjusting regulator up or down? Adjustment is the knob, it may be hard to turn because it is locked down, locking nut may have to be loosened. Where EXACTLY is the "beer shooting out of the keg coupler", the connection between coupler and beer line? between coupler and keg? elsewhere?
    OK, comments, about main tank valve, whether opened a "crack" or full on basically the same, 75 PSI or 300 PSI, regulator should handle both and drop it down below 20 PSI, honestly you can't adjust PSI at main tank valve, best to turn to full on position (this prevents confusion when you need to turn the gas off in an emergency).
    The best way to get gas to keg, attach coupler to keg leave the coupler in off position (lever up), turn gas full on at tank, PSI should settle on a PSI setting, adjust regulator to what you want, turn the regulator valve on (parallel to beer line), tug on pressure release valve on coupler (it should have a constant hiss), then engage the coupler to on position.
    If you need more help pictures of bottom of coupler (like you are looking down toward beer line) and regulator would help us help you.
    KB
    Last edited by KillianBoy; 06-12-2015, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. In an attempt to answer your questions.

1. last keg was Shiner. I ended up finishing tat one by turning on the CO2 just briefly and getting a pour. I noticed the problem with that keg when I came home to beer on the floor. I watched the PSI max out on that one at about 40. This one it climbed all the way to 55psi when the safety valve started venting and I turned off the gas at the tank.

2. I noticed the beer shooting out at the line where it joins the coupler.

2. I've got the adjustment knob completely closed at this point

Comment

A-Team,
        1. OK, thank you
        2. There should be a neoprene washer between the coupler and the beer line, it should be large black washer between the coupler and tailpiece compressed together by hex nut.
        3. Not really sure you can "completely close(d)" adjustment. OK, there is a knob with a +/- with arrows, knob turned completely counter-clockwise will give you low PSI, turned completely clockwise will give you high PSI, no really closed position. There is a lever type valve that should turn 1/4 turn, perpendicular to beer line off, parallel completely on.
        If you need more help post picture of the regulator with what you are doing, if wrong then a member will let you know.
        KB

Comment

Originally posted by A-Team View Post
          ...I've got the adjustment knob completely closed at this point
          Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
          ...Not really sure you can "completely close(d)" adjustment. OK, there is a knob with a +/- with arrows, knob turned completely counter-clockwise will give you low PSI, turned completely clockwise will give you high PSI, no really closed position. There is a lever type valve that should turn 1/4 turn, perpendicular to beer line off, parallel completely on.
          If you need more help post picture of the regulator with what you are doing, if wrong then a member will let you know.
          KB
          I think KB has this one pretty much nailed. You may be turning up the pressure when you believe you are turning it "off". To re-state things... Turning the valve in (clockwise) serves to turn the pressure up. Turning it back out (counter-clockwise) will lower your pressure, provided you have a pressure regulator that is functioning normally.

​THE ICEMAN
          My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
          "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
          -Dave Barry-
          "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
          Strong beer is the milk of the old."
          -Martin Luther-

Comment

I think my regulator isn't working correctly. I've got it all the way counter-clockwise and the lowest I can get the PSI to is 40.

Comment

A-Team,
              Out of the box I've seen 2-5% bad, unless you banged it around, it should be fine, AGAIN have you checked the locking ring? move the locking ring right next to the knob that you turn, there should be .5-.75 of an inch of the threads exposed on regulator end of knob (with locking ring next to knob) at the maximum lowest PSI. I've been playing around with my spare MM regulator, at lowest PSI it is fairly easy to turn, in highest PSI it gets pretty hard, hard enough you may need a channel lock or wrench to turn knob more counter-clockwise. Look at the amount of thread, if 1/8-1/4 inch exposed, you might need to use a wrench to turn more counter-clockwise. Post pictures of the thread and front of regulator if you still have problems.
              KB
              Last edited by KillianBoy; 06-13-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X