Perfect Home Bar System...almost.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCullender View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. Nice setup to walk into. Little things to do: 1) Wrap the "U" bend inside the fridge with a couple layers of insulation tape. This will eliminate condensation inside the fridge. 2) The power pack looks pretty dusty. The coils probably need to be cleaned. Also, hopefully you have 3 - 6 " of space between the brick wall and the back of the power pack for air circulation.

Put thermometer in a water bottle, punch hole in cap, this will give you an easy close estimate on liquid temp inside the fridge. Much more accurate than air temp.

The power pack set point is 28 degrees. It will operate between 28 and 32 degrees. Once at this temp, check the solution reservoir to make sure the glycol isn't freezing. If it starts to freeze, you need to replace the glycol.

Get blended gas, 70/30 or 60/40 CO2/N, either will work for your needs.

Invite us over for a beer!

Cheers!
    This is perfect advice. I've gotten in touch with my local AirGas, who will be giving me a 20lb tank of 60/40 CO2/N2 next week. Doing the math, this seems like a perfect mix in order to achieve 8-12 PSI of partial CO2 pressure at the 18-22 total pressure I know to get it to the faucet without breakout. I ordered a submersible thermometer so I can accurately measure liquid temp in the fridge and liquid temp in the beer coming out of the faucet. I ordered insulation tape so I can give the U-bend in the fridge a solid wrapping. I'll clean the entire glycol unit like it's my job this weekend, replace the glycol, and set it to 28 degrees like it should be.

Lord willing, in two weeks time I'll have the system up and running like it should have been in the first place!

Comment

jpeterferrell,
      If you haven't yet, look into getting a good cleaning system, look through store, I'd at first use BLC several times with longer soak each time should be fine, then one time with soak on monthly basis. Also clean the gear with BLC, take faucet and couplers apart and replace any part that seems worn.
      KB
      Last edited by KillianBoy; 05-13-2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
        jpeterferrell,
        If you haven't yet, look into getting a good cleaning system, look through store, I'd at first use BLC several times with longer soak each time should be fine, then one time with soak on monthly basis. Also clean the gear with BLC, take faucet and couplers apart and replace any part that seems worn.
        KB
        Will do. I ordered a tub of BLC - when I have it all apart this weekend to drill the holes, run the lines, etc, I'll give it a full clean. The previous occupant left some StarSan that I used initially, but it doesn't seem he ever used more than just that. I ordered the powdered BLC, and will follow your instructions for performing a full and complete line cleaning this time around, to include soaking the lines. According to the instructions he left me, he was basically just flushing a 1 quart bottle of diluted StarSan, followed by a 1 quart bottle of hot water, after each keg.

I replaced the lines in the fridge going into the trunk line. Of course, I won't be able to replace anything within the trunk line, so I'll have to make sure the cleaning is thorough.

Comment

jpeterferrell,
          You can use the StarSan yearly and the BLC monthly (or best every couple of weeks), if keg kicks somewhere between these 2 points then do it when you change kegs.
          When you replace lines make sure it is exactly the same length and ID, seems that a professional installed the system, if so based lengths of beer line of restriction tables.
          KB

Comment

UPDATE: So I applied most of the advice from earlier regarding temperature monitoring, insulation, and just generally getting things set right and cleaned up. I disassembled the glycol chiller, cleaned everything thoroughly, then I re-set it to 29 degrees - the bath is now holding at a steady 29-30 (measured with a separate liquid thermometer). I added insulation to a few spots in the truck line (2 inches or so near the inlet/outlet on the unit), then wrapped the existing lines that had the duct tape on them in proper insulation tape.

I then drilled a 1.25 inch hole in the top of the fridge and another in the top of the counter, and ran the gas lines through there. No more gas canister in the fridge! Much more room to work, and much cleaner setup overall. I'm in the process of adjusting the temps on the Haier unit so I can get it right at 38. At full cold it got down to ~30 (too low), so I'm now using the water bottle/liquid thermometer unit to keep bumping it up until I can settle it right at 38. I cleaned the mechanicals on the fridge thoroughly while I was back there.

Here's a photoIMG_8229.jpg - this week I get my blended gas cylinder (60/40) and I'll finally have the fridge set right at 38!

Comment

excellent up date save hows it pouring now?

Comment

Originally posted by pvs6 View Post
                excellent up date save hows it pouring now?
                I'm still fiddling with the fridge to try and get it to hold right at 38. I got it to 36.3 today, and dialed it up slight bit. I'll check tomorrow to see where I'm at. I have to pick up the cylinder of 60/40 blended gas on Wednesday (my local AirGas needed a week to get it ordered in). I figure by the weekend I'll have the temp dialed in just right, and I'll get the new cylinder hooked up to the regulator.

So, long story short, more updates to come. Looking forward to getting this thing totally solved and up and running!

Comment

jpeterferrell,
                  The thermostat in stock Haier is really hard tough to get to hit a specific #, I find the best is about 3/4 of full power. I would run the keg hooked up to the following:
                  404 - File or directory not found.
                  This way you will get the temperature from keg not effected by the glycol system. Once you get temperature you want, hook it back up with glycol system.
                  KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
                    jpeterferrell,
                    The thermostat in stock Haier is really hard tough to get to hit a specific #, I find the best is about 3/4 of full power. I would run the keg hooked up to the following:
                    404 - File or directory not found.
                    This way you will get the temperature from keg not effected by the glycol system. Once you get temperature you want, hook it back up with glycol system.
                    KB
                    UPDATE: Ordered and have the suggested direct-pour faucet. Getting a perfect 37.5 degree beer out of the keg in the fridge with the Haier set (and marked) at right about 3/4 power, exactly as suggested. The glycol unit is holding at a steady 29-30 degrees, measured with the built in thermometer and two separate liquid thermometers just to be sure.

My only issue has been getting that tank of 60/40 gas. My local AirGas still hasn't been able to get me a tank, and keeps saying "maybe next week." Once I have that, I'll have a much more complete update. We're 95% of the way there, it seems!

Comment

jpeterferrell,
                      Are you waiting on a rental tank from them or purchased your own and waiting for them to fill it?
                      Check with bars and restaurants that serve draft beer (Yardhouse, Twin Peaks etc) and check where they get their gas.
                      I have found the AirGas has all the stuff, but sometimes slow to get it done.
                      KB
                      Last edited by KillianBoy; 05-25-2015, 06:30 PM.

Comment

UPDATE!

So, it took me two months to get a mixed gas cylinder, and eventually had to go to a local gas facility. My closest Airgas went back and forth on whether they could even do it, then after a month or more of that they finally told me that no, it wasn't possible for them. No matter, ultimately I did get a 60/40 cylinder of CO2/Nitrogen!

So, last weekend I was able to hook it up to the system, put two new kegs (21st Amendment "Down to Earth" and Foothills Brewery "Hoppyum") in the fridge, set the pressure at 20 PSI (for a partial CO2 of ~12PSI) and tried it. I also have managed to consistently get the liquid temp in the fridge to anywhere between 37.5 and 39.5 degrees Fahrenheit. The glycol unit has been humming along between 29 and 31 degrees.

Results - PERFECT POURS. No issues at all. Perfect amount of foam on top, consistently great pours time after time after time. Beer tastes great. Liquid temperature coming out of the taps is always between 37 and 39. Bottom line - the system is now dialed in perfectly. I can let it sit for a week when I'm gone, come home, and on the first pull I get a PERFECT pint of beer.

I can't thank this forum enough for the help. Thanks to all the advice here, in the last few months I've been able to get systems up and running better than ever for several of my friends with home kegerators, keezers, etc. If any of you are every in Fayetteville, NC and want to stop by for a beer, you are more than welcome to. Again, thank you so much, and here's to enjoying the rest of my time in this place with this awesome system!IMG_8498.jpgIMG_8499.jpgIMG_8500.jpgIMG_8504.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X