#642 Regulator blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #642 Regulator blues

I have a #642 regulator, about 5.5 years. About two weeks ago it started to creep up pressure. After three nights of foamy beer I got a loaner regulator from my beer distributor. So I read and read posts and decide to try checking/cleaning the diaphragm. Regulator was very clean inside. Re-assembled and tested on spare tank. Still creeping fast, like 14 to 21 in 2 minutes. Called MM and they suggested replacing the innards. Ordered the repair kit. Did the swap, re-assembled, and tested. No creep, pressure holds. But now I have a leak on the bonnet. Pulled and re-assembled the regulator oh twenty times. Same leak. By now the washer had started to deform. Ordered another washer AND another diaphragm from MM. Juts did two assemblies and tests, same result- leak on the bonnet. Between all the parts I'm in almost the cost of a new regulator and I'm runnin' outta hair to pull out. It's not a good sign when you start dreaming about tearing down a regulator. What am I missing here? I can't keep the loaner indefinitely. I need a solution not now but a week ago! Thanx-

What method did you use to determine it leaks at the bonnet? If it is it leaks past the diaphram too. Inspect the metal surfaces that gasket and diaphram mate to for imperfections. So your 2 tests were with a new 2nd diaphram and replaced new gasket? If so the fail to seal, seems to be the metal surfaces are warped, scratched or you have a cross thread issue tightening down the bonnet.

You won't like hearing this but after 4 years of faithful use I'm incline to just replace a part instead of rebuilding. Might be a little more up front but if it's a defeative replacement I just return it for a good one.

I would try smearing a light film of dish washing liquid on both sides of the gasket reassemble and pressure up. Then in short order dis-assemble and see if you can pin point where it's leaking at by the wettness pushed out. That may help you to locate the defect. Just kidding I'd spring for a new one and not worry about it but that's just me.

Comment

I used soapy water and got a bubble on the bonnet hole and if I place a finger over it I get bubbles at the screw set threads. I don't think the threads are buggered as the bonnet hand tightens smooth. Like I said the inside is clean, like new.

You're the 4th person to recommend a new regulator. I'll waste some more time on it today for the sake of stubbornness and probably end up ordering *eyes rolling* another regulator tomorrow.

Comment

Doyna Yar,
        I'll be #5, but with all the work you put in best to see if your work paid off or not.
        I found this post from a moderator:
        "The tiny hole in the center of the diaphragm is suppose to be there. Look at the diaphragm close to determine if there are any tears or rips. If this is not the issue, the seat capsule assembly maybe loose or is defective and must be replaced. Refer to the link for replacement parts."

Through other posts, sometimes leaks stop at a lower PSI, sometimes if you turn PSI really high then really low several times, the leaks stop.
        Try what pvs6 says, adjust PSI and see what happens.
        KB

Comment

All 3 diaphragms look clean and unblemished. I already replaced the 'seat capsule assembly' with the repair kit. Reseated all those parts probably half a dozen times. Tried oscillating the pressure 5# to better than 50#, no luck. I'm throwing in the towel, ordering a new reg. Lesson learned. probably get a spare too. Thanks anyway.

Comment

For the most part regs. rarely fail. Sorry you seem to be the exception. I'd not want to buy a 2nd. to sit on the shelf for years waiting for the first one to fail.

Comment

Working...
            X