new to this, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to this, help?

Got a kegerator for Christmas and have a 1/6 barrel on of great lakes Christmas Ale. I went to pour a beer and the tap was very hard to pull. I accidentally undid something and the tap handle came off and it started spewing beer everywhere. We had to physically unhook the keg and turn off the co2. The keg handle is loose now and feels normal. I tried retapping the keg but it spews foam every time and can't connect. I'm assuming it's too shaken up to retap right away?

Thoughts?
    Suggestions?

wizardsinc,
    Welcome, sorry have to ask some questions and get things straight.
    Most kegerators are basically the same, some are a little different so brand and model will help 'suss out the problem.
    "accidentally undid something" doesn't really help, my assumption the lever came loose from faucet (parts list and names are in faucet section in store), just "loosing" the tap handle or lever won't cause spewing beer, making very loose or breaking something will cause spewing. So beer wasn't flowing through spout (where beer normally comes out), beer was flowing out from other than this part? Just a loose part, beer will flow out from spout but if you pull handle back and forth beer will stop and stop but if you let go of handle beer won't stop. Basically beer is held back by friction, but if lever that holds the washer holding beer back is just loose beer should just flow non-stop out of spout and pulling handle and letting go won't stop flow.
    So can you describe how beer "spewed", what part you may have accidentally touched to cause this and pictures of the faucet might help us help you.
    Don't know what you mean by "too shaken up", unless you shook keg up you shouldn't have any problems with things being shaken up.
    The original problem you probably had is beer glued the washer for beer to faucet.
    KB
    Last edited by KillianBoy; 03-19-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
      wizardsinc,
      Welcome, sorry have to ask some questions and get things straight.
      Most kegerators are basically the same, some are a little different so brand and model will help 'suss out the problem.
      "accidentally undid something" doesn't really help, my assumption the lever came loose from faucet (parts list and names are in faucet section in store), just "loosing" the tap handle or lever won't cause spewing beer, making very loose or breaking something will cause spewing.
      Most likely the nut holding down lever is very loose, just tighten to the point the handle can't move and turn back loose 1/4 turn or less.
      Don't know what you mean by "too shaken up", unless you shook keg up you shouldn't have any problems with things being shaken up.
      The problem you probably have is beer glued the stopper for beer to faucet.
      KB
      Sorry, yeah I would assume it's the faucet. It's the mechanism that the tap handle is attached too. When I tried to retap the keg foam kept spewing from the top of the keg, I was just assuming the keg was messed up and needed time to sit and settle.

Comment

wizardsinc,
        Again make and model would help, what part did you touch, where is beer spewing from???
        So when you pull handle beer spews from top of keg? and not the faucet? is it spewing non-stop from top of keg?
        Can you explain where things are happening and what you did to cause this problem? (part you touched, where beer is spewing from and is it nonstop), the main thing is what part you touched or removed to suddenly cause this problem.
        KB
        You don't have to quote, just reply

Comment

I'd bet you snapped the lever handle on your faucet right at the faucet shaft. Those brass levers that come on the standard faucets do this a lot . You could try replacing with a s/s lever. But you probably deformed the shaft in the process which means you need a new shaft to. You would have to remove faucet from the tower shank and try to drive out with a punch from the front of faucet. But will tear up rest of faucet in the process.
          Just order a new faucet and be done with it.( with s/s lever)
          And next time drink more often!!!!
          Orrr if faucet sticks again. Gently heat up with a lighter. Will soften up stuck beer in faucet.

404 - File or directory not found.
          Looks at the replacement parts tab.
          #6 at the bottom of the shaft below the ball portion. That flat tab is now probably snapped off an stuck in your shaft assy.
          Last edited by PointPleasantNJBeerguy; 03-19-2015, 08:19 PM.
          What I got:
          Beverage Air #BM23
          with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
          -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
          -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
          -MM S/S Keg Couplers
          YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Normally I'd like Point Pleasant read. But I think we lost something in new guy translation. I am thinking the spewing is inside the box not the Faucet at all. Sounds like he's referencing the keg tapper. It was still beer glue induced but tapper to keg not sticky Faucet. I think he may have the term right tap handle and we were thinking he meant Faucet pour handle.

Wizardsinc Is the mess you speak of happening on top of the keg inside the unit? or Outside the unit somewhere on the tower where you pull the lever to fill a glass of beer?

Comment

Guys,
              That was reason for the "more information request" post, at first I thought as PointPleasantNJBeerguy, broken lever or really loose nut, then second post by OP really muddied the water even further, maybe it was coupler handle OP was talking about. I have heard first time owners turning the coupler handle off and on every time they use it, dunn'now, pretty confused at this point in time, TO OP, pictures and a clearer picture of what the problem was would help us help you with your problem, right now everyone is as confused as can be.
              KB

Comment

Thank you everyone, think pointpleasant probably hit the nail on the head. I'll take some photos tonight and post. Sorry for my not being educated to know terms.

Comment

This is the piece I was referring to.Couldn't post link from phone last night.
                  What I got:
                  Beverage Air #BM23
                  -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

wizardsinc,
                    You really have to figure out how to communicate where things are spewing what you touched and what "broke". I attached a rudimentary sketch as to what is what, the part PointPleasantNJBeerguy refers is called the lever, it attaches the tap handle to the faucet, if that breaks and beer was "spewing from the top of the keg", then you have problems, if spewing from top of faucet, then it is what is broke.
                    Knowing exactly where beer is leaking and part broke or stuck would be helpful, also make and model of kegerator would also help.
                    KB
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback, attached are some images you'll find useful.

The circled spout is where the beer was spewing from, the circled image of the tap handle is to indicate that is now very loose. The other images should help with the model name and number.

Thanks again.

2015-03-20 18.52.27_resized.jpg2015-03-20 18.54.09_resized.jpg20150320_185247_resized.jpg20150320_185305_resized.jpg

Comment

wizardsinc,
                        Thanks for the pictures, it is an Edgestar BC2000, fairly standard.
                        OK, did you take apart faucet at any time or assemble part by part, did you add any washer to the area in white square in my attachment?
                        The other square is the nut which tightens the lever to faucet, if tightened enough and lever moves back and forth, it stop and start the flow of beer, the next picture is of how the lever goes into stopper assembly.
                        I would take that new tap handle off lever (use the black one that came with unit), take off faucet from tower (that is the tall skinny silver thing), remember this connection is reverse thread and MUST be taken off by using a faucet wrench (should have be included, DO NOT USE VISE GRIPS OR CHANNEL LOCKS) and take a picture of where faucet is connected to the tower (this is called the shank), there should only be 1(ONE) washer, it will be thin and flat. The faucet with black handle should move freely back and forth, if not something is misplaced or broken, if moves freely tighten nut I previously mentioned until lever can't move at all, then turn back 1/8-1/4 turn till it moves.
                        KB
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by KillianBoy; 03-20-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Basically I went to pour a beer, the tap was very hard to move. I turned the faucet mistakenly and tried to turn it back. It took some force and heard a pop and then that's when the beer began to spew from the faucet.

Comment

wizardsinc,
                            Don't know if you're answering questions from a couple of posts back but really, best to tear your gear apart and see if anything is broken.
                            Take faucet off shank (white square), reverse thread , righty loosey, unscrew the nut in green square lefty loosey, this should release lever, removing lever should release stopper assembly, lay out and take a picture, take picture of area you revealed by removing faucet, then take top off tower and take a picture of the other side of the shank (where it leads back to keg).
                            It takes a lot of force to break most of these parts, if you rotated faucet (left to right), you may have broken some teeth, if back and forth (like the way you would pour a beer), you may have snapped the sleeve, either way you need new parts, no matter which parts are broken you need to buy both sides.
                            Hopefully it just jumped a thread when you gorilla'd the handle/faucet.
                            KB

Comment

I get more confused every post I read.... Lol
                              What I got:
                              Beverage Air #BM23
                              -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Working...
                              X