Regulator leaking into keg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator leaking into keg?

I recently moved and am wondering if something got damaged in the move. When I set up the kegerator at the new house, my regulator starting behaving strangely.

I set up the regulator with typical settings, but instead of staying at a normal 10-12psi, the gauge kept creeping up well above 20psi. I turned it down and it kept going back up, no matter how many times I adjusted. Meanwhile, the beer was over-pressurized, even after I made the adjustments and vented the excess CO2. Now, after only a few days, my CO2 tank is empty.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong and how I fix it?

Sounds like a bad regulator. A simple leak wouldn't push the pressure to 20lbs. The tank going empty, do you know how much gas you had to start with when you hooked it up at the new place? You could start by refilling the co2 then soap testing for leaks. But if I was you I'd get a new reg. do a quick check on the gas line connections and be done with it. You could waste more gas than it's worth chasing down the leak. If you don't opt for a new reg. then I'd at least submerge the reg. in water under pressure and watch for bubbles.

Comment

Kind of what I figured. The CO2 tank was full at the start of this keg. It was empty in 4 days.

Comment

beer voice,
        Yeah if it is a US made MM regulator or similar I'd say broken, but if Chinese or Euro made, I have had strange problems with a Haier regulator.
        With tank and regulator valve on off I have had the regulator gauge go to 10+, honestly can't see why it would do that.
        Also it all depends also on how it was moved, if you took regulator off the tank, did you make sure the washer between tank and regulator is still there? fell off? If tank was still attached, did it fall? well packed in box? if transported horizontal, did you turn tank valve off?
        KB

Comment

Working...
        X