Loose Tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Tap

Hello all - So just kicked a keg of Paulaner and while cleaning the lines I decided to unscrew the tap and give it a good cleaning. while I was trying to get the tap loose with the special tool, I think I may have loosened something in the little stub that connects the tap to the tower, and now feel that is loose. So, when I screw the tap back on, it shakes in place because the stub that its screwed into is loose into the tower.

Now its been a couple of years since I put this all together so i am not sure if the stub was already installed into the tower or if I had to put it together, and so may be able to be adjusted. Any advice on how I can tighten things up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Common term for the coupler that attaches to the keg is: Tapper.
    The term for the spigot attached to the tower is: Faucet.

You are referring to the Faucet connection on to the tower Correct?

If so Refer to: The assembly drawing at the bottom of this link.
    All About Beer Shanks

2, 3 and 4 are all outside the tower, while 5, 6 and 7 are all inside.
    I would guess you need to tighten Nut #7 on the inside of the tower. When this gets loose the faucet can be twisted fairly easily on the tower or if it's really loose can be jiggled up and down.

If you were really meaning the keg tapper / coupler instead when please reply and maybe with a picture of this Stub that's loose since I can't think of what would be stub like on a coupler.
    Last edited by pvs6; 02-09-2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pvs6 View Post
      Common term for the coupler that attaches to the keg is: Tapper.
      The term for the spigot attached to the tower is: Faucet.

You are referring to the Faucet connection on to the tower Correct?

If so Refer to: The assembly drawing at the bottom of this link.
      All About Beer Shanks

2, 3 and 4 are all outside the tower, while 5, 6 and 7 are all inside.
      I would guess you need to tighten Nut #7 on the inside of the tower. When this gets loose the faucet can be twisted fairly easily on the tower or if it's really loose can be jiggled up and down.

If you were really meaning the keg tapper / coupler instead when please reply and maybe with a picture of this Stub that's loose since I can't think of what would be stub like on a coupler.
      Yes, you are right, I am referring to the faucet connection on the tower. I am sure I need to tighten number 7 as you mentioned. It appears that I may be able to pop the top of the tower to access the nut. Any tips on popping it off without damage?

Thanks

Comment

P.S. to tighten this nut can be tricky since your limited in the amount of rotation you can apply with the tightening device due to the tower opening.

It's best to tighten the faucet on to the shank first that way you can use the faucet body for leverage by holding it. This allows you to ensure the faucet is orientated correctly vertically with the tower.

I personally use needle nose pliers because you can grip even the points on the hex nut (angled corners). It only requires enough torque to stop the faucet from twisting and that isn't more that a 1/2 turn after finger tight but normally only a quarter turn.

Another way if you're using a claw wrench is to start at finger tight, twist the faucet body counter clockwise an 8th of a turn or as needed, then grip the nut with the wrench and instead of rotating the nut turn the shank into it by rotating the faucet body into the correct vertical alignment thus tightening it.

Comment

I use a sharp pocket knife to wedge into the seam to open it far enough to then use a flat blade screw driver. You should use all 4 compasses point when separating the cap, Pry open the front with the knife then pry the back, then pry onside followed by the other. Repeat the process with the screw driver.

Comment

Originally posted by pvs6 View Post
            I use a sharp pocket knife to wedge into the seam to open it far enough to then use a flat blade screw driver. You should use all 4 compasses point when separating the cap, Pry open the front with the knife then pry the back, then pry onside followed by the other. Repeat the process with the screw driver.
            Thanks for the advice and tips. Will certainly try to pry it open and adjust.

Comment

I've never had to use a tool to get mine, just get a finger nail under it. If it is tight pop it from below. It is just an o ring holding it in place.
              What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

I've seen some that were on there pretty damn tight from years of use.I've even came in from underneath before with a rod to poke out.
                What I got:
                Beverage Air #BM23
                with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
                -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
                -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
                -MM S/S Keg Couplers
                YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Hammer and flat blade screwdriver always works for me
                  Colin Harrison
                  Dbi Beverage Chico

Comment

Guys - Used my nails to pry open the top and tightened the nut with needle nose pliers as suggested. Was really easy to do, as suggested! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X