foam issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foam issue

ok so im brand new to the kegerator world. i have the psi down as low as i can on gauge and i have great flow. When i look inside the fridge at the hose line running from keg tap up to the tower itself, inside the hose is free and clear of all foam. but it seems as if once it enters the tower it turns over into foam? is that something i can correct easily? would a tower cooler help?

So basically your saying your running on 1lb of pressure?? If that's the case that won't last long. Your running on just the pressure of the keg. Are these foam problems constant or first pour only? Tower cooler only chills line to prevent first pour foam issues. If you pour two glasses back to back with both foam you have other issues. Obviously since you have regulator "low as you can" . There are lots of stickied threads you should read throughly first. Draft beer is not flying by the seat of the pants adjustments. There is calculation and balance if you wanna do it right .
    Also wouldn't even to begin to help with out knowing what you got , what your pouring, what temps your pouring, and so on.
    What I got:
    Beverage Air #BM23
    with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
    -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
    -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
    -MM S/S Keg Couplers
    YouTube video of the goods

Comment

kkennedy2427,
      Yeah what PointPleasantNJBeerguy said, don't know if easy fix of not, don't know your system, how you put it together, beer in keg, etc.
      Look at this and resource tab with "beer questions".
      404 - File or directory not found.

Search forum under "newbie" my thread will turn up I have helpful things there, it could be a misplaced washer, could be bad keg, don't know your temperature, beer, new or used, DIY or stand-alone standard kegerator, so members can't really make any guess as to your exact problem.
      Since I don't know EXACTLY how much foam I have can't really make any assessment of your problem, pictures would help.
      If massive foam on every consecutive glass and flow from faucet is pure white throughout flow, take faucet off, check and make sure you don't have fat washer between faucet and shank, if used, clean. For sure 1 PSI is too low, if no bubbles rising from coupler into hose at that PSI, something is wrong, make sure you have CO2 in tank.
      KB

Comment

hey sorry for the lack of imformation. I have a 1/4 keg of budweiser. i dont know the exact temp but its chilled perfectly for my taste. i dont know the degree as of right now. i have a igloo kegerator, nothing special got it for christmas. I had a miller lite keg prior to the budweiser keg and i never got full foam out like i am now.

IGLOO 6.0 cu. ft. Beer Keg Dispenser-FRB200 - The Home Depot

Comment

if you want the fly by seat of your pants answer...

Pressure @10-14lbs.
          Temps@36-38F
          --------------------
          But with and Igloo unit.
          temps are probably low to mid 40s. So pressure is gonna need to 14-16psi
          But then your problem is your beer line is gonna have to be extended to @10ft.
          ---------------------------
          Or last ghetto approach
          6-8lbpsi and just drink you foamy bud and be done. Only a 1/4 you might be able to drink fast enough before being flat..
          Last edited by PointPleasantNJBeerguy; 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM.
          What I got:
          Beverage Air #BM23
          -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

If you want the "proper" way to do.Gonna need to know what is your regulator set at right now? And also "true beer temps" which are taken on a second consecutive pour with a calibrated thermometer.
            Even with proper co2 there are SO many variable that can cause "foamy beer" .Even a bad keg!!
            Gonna have to be a little more descriptive in your posts...
            What I got:
            Beverage Air #BM23
            -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

kkennedy2427,
              OK, 2nd keg good to know, so 1st keg poured fine all the way through? Did you clean gear after 1st keg kicked? If cleaned did you disassemble faucet and clean all interior parts including shank (thing attached to tower after removing faucet)? What was the PSI on the 1st keg? How was the pour on 1st keg? 2nd keg? (any difference between both kegs) Did you do anything different between kegs?
              Normal pour look like a cylinder flowing from faucet, if ribbon, the 1 or both air holes clogged.
              PointPleasantNJBeerguy,
              I hope asking specific questions I can get better information from OP.
              OP, this is my newbie thread

As PointPleasantNJBeerguy and my thread say there are many causes of foam, from information posted it might be dirty gear, if you haven't gone longer line, you should, v/v difference between Miller and Bud is 1, if the same PSI @ 38 degree beer both beers should pour the same.
              KB
              Last edited by KillianBoy; 02-09-2015, 03:53 PM.

Comment

@ 38 degree f. 13 psi. never one. Since you don't know you're temp (and you must as you will learn) set it to 13 for now, 1lbs will only make things worse.

Un-tap and re-tap the keg. Since you're still new to this a common error is to not twist seat the tap all the way. Dried beer is glue, if the keg was untapped for awhile the mating surfaces can supply friction making you think it's fully engaged when it isn't. Moisten the black plastic washer on the bottom of the tapper to avert this.
                If foam still continues un-tap and inspect the black plastic washer on the keg inside the coupler, check for nicks and damage.

This is a new unit that worked well the 1st time you used it. So the units likely not the fault. That leaves a bad keg or something you did changing kegs. Bad kegs do occur but rarely, I've never experienced it yet with 500 kegs under my belt. So now it's time for questions.

As a new owner I assume you didn't do any cleaning when switching kegs, correct?
                Just un-tapped the old and re-tapped the new bud, also correct?
                How long between kegs?

I was new to this once too, luckily I found this site. I didn't ask many questions I devoured the old posts, read and learned and 3 kegs into it I understood balancing a must have ( temp = pressure) and why, and the mods. I needed to achieve perfect pour including even the first after a day in-activity. People her are willing to help but help yourself too. do your home work. http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...-problems.html

Side note you don't save money with 1/4 or 1/6 only 1/2 barrels.
                Last edited by pvs6; 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Killian when I look for your sticky in the forum it's not there? But the link here works again. The old Borman sticky is all that's up now.

kkennedy2427,
                  Yeah what PointPleasantNJBeerguy said, don't know if easy fix of not, don't know your system, how you put it together, beer in keg, etc.
                  Look at this and resource tab with "beer questions".
                  404 - File or directory not found. (your Link)

Comment

hey guys thanks for the quick responses. The first keg has very to little foam. There was probably around 1 week of having the keg empty and then getting the knew keg. I just swapped kegs and poured and thats when i noticed the abundent amount of foam. I cleaned the line from the keg to the tower/tap yesterday and still same amount of foam. i also cleaned the faucet and saw no change in foam. I was looking into getting a longer line and also gauge because i have a feeling the gauge isn't reading correctly at all times

Comment

kkennedy2427,
                      It isn't a sticky just a thread, best way is go to my profile and look for "started threads", it's the 1st, or search "newbie", it should be on the first page.
                      So what was your PSI on 1st keg? did you take the faucet apart? or just run BLC or water through?
                      As in my thread PSI is set according to v/v of beer based upon temperature of the beer, if beer is 36 degrees and was on 18+ PSI for an extended period of time, beer may be over-carbornated, don't know your exact timeline, so I don't know if you had PSI set too high. It could be bad regulator, but if you set at 12 and stays a 12, it should be fine (this is assuming you don't turn tank knob off and on and regulator switch off and on). Sometimes you set one day, then reset the next day. If changes every day then it might be a bad regulator.
                      KB
                      Last edited by KillianBoy; 02-09-2015, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Tried re-tapping yet? When mines stuck I smear Crisco lightly on the tapper gasket it works as well as the expense made for beer packaged stuff and I nor anyone else has detected a taste issue. A week in an uncool environment turns beer to glue, make sure it's turned as far as it will go. Starting out people can make this mistake which will cause the type of constant foam you speak of.

Comment

kkennedy2427,
                          pvs6 brings up a good point, if after doing all said earlier, look at bottom of the coupler, make sure the probe washer is in place (pictures would help).
                          KB

Comment

I checked the tap itself and washers last night and all were still in place and looked fine. Would a video help you guys any more to help identify the issue easier?

Comment

couldn't hurt.
                              But you never gave an accurate PSI reading to us.
                              What I got:
                              Beverage Air #BM23
                              -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Working...
                              X