Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NADS 70012 regulator issues

Hey y'all,

I just signed up to ask for some help with my North American Dispensing Systems (NADS) regulator part #70012. I purchased the regulator as part of a craigslist kegerator kit. Originally, I was getting a leak through the weep hole, so I got a rebuild kit with new diaphragm. This worked perfect for my first keg of Newcastle brown ale, 40 degrees/8-9psi. My second keg seemed to always pour a head about twice as large as normal and seemed to empty quickly, although the holidays didn't help haha. Also, with the second keg I always seemed to have trouble keeping a consistent pressure.

So I just picked up a 1/2 barrel of Shiner bock for the Super Bowl and now my regulator is having issues before I even tapped it. I'm not sure if this is correct procedure, but I was trying to get the regulator around 10-12 psi before even hooking it up to the coupler/keg. I did this by adjusting the screw, then opening the gas line valve from the regulator for a moment to get the true pressure, let's call it purging. Weirdly enough, it didn't want to go below 15-20 psi, even though the adjustment screw was loosened to the point where it disconnects from the inner threads of the bonnet, which made the psi drop directly to zero. So I tried leaving the gas on, and open the gas line valve for a moment to find true pressure (purge), after doing this 2-3 times, psi eventually just stops going up from 0 and no gas comes out when the valves are all open. If I let it sit, the psi slowly builds up, but when I open the gas line valve, just a small amount of gas comes out and then no more, even though the gas is on and all valves are open. I have a 5# tank, empty weight 7.7#, current weight 9.8.

The only thing I noticed that seemed off was the white plastic circle that goes between diaphragm and spring had become offset. This meant the small center hole didn't quite line up with the diaphragm center hole. Since I hadn't taken apart the regulator since then original rebuild and had already run two 1/2 barrels, I was unsure if this hole offset was doing any bad. Also, I came across a rebuild write up for what appears to be the same regulator (Uh-oh | Examiner.com), what perplexes me is there is no "domed washer" between spring and white circle. Whereas in my regulator, there was a domed washer both between the spring/adjustment screw & between the spring and white circle. I tried taking the domed washer between spring/white circle like the write up and was able to dial in the psi below 15-20, but after a few purges I got the "no gas" symptom described earlier where the psi only increases over time, but upon opening the gas valve barely any gas comes out and if left open no more gas exits w/ gas on and all valves open.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I really want to get this workin for tomorrow as its both the Super Bowl and my B-day.

Thanks for the help,
    Ross I'Anson

Sounds like to much dicking around with a dead horse. Personally would of tossed it from the get go and got a new regulator. I never get involved with rebuilds.
    I know this doesn't help you though..
    What I got:
    Beverage Air #BM23
    with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
    -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
    -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
    -MM S/S Keg Couplers
    YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Originally posted by PointPleasantNJBeerguy View Post
      Sounds like to much dicking around with a dead horse. Personally would of tossed it from the get go and got a new regulator. I never get involved with rebuilds.
      I know this doesn't help you though..
      Well out of the few different kegerator forums I posted on, you are the only one to respond, so thanks for at least giving me something. At this point, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, this regulator is getting chucked haha. Luckily I got some cases yesterday so at least I had something for today. Time to do some regulator research/shopping, any specific models y'all recommend?

-Ross

Comment

Anything from Micromatic will be fine and it goes to the folks who sponsor this site for is. Win win.
        What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by RossXK View Post
          Well out of the few different kegerator forums I posted on, you are the only one to respond, so thanks for at least giving me something. At this point, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, this regulator is getting chucked haha. Luckily I got some cases yesterday so at least I had something for today. Time to do some regulator research/shopping, any specific models y'all recommend?

-Ross
          I like the Micromatic premium regs. The have a adjustment knob instead of a screw so it makes its makes adjusting easier.

Link.
          What I got:
          Beverage Air #BM23
          with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
          -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
          -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
          -MM S/S Keg Couplers
          YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Working...
          X