Keg was warm for a week, salvageable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg was warm for a week, salvageable?

My kegerator died last week with about a half keg of Dos Equis lager left in it. The replacement arrived yesterday (Danby DKC052BSLDB) and the keg has been cooling for about 18 hours - not sure if that's enough time to cool ~7 gallons of beer from room temp, but a bottle of water kept in the kegerator was 40 degrees this morning (I've adjusted the thermostat to make it a bit cooler).

I just poured a glass to see what would come out. I got a full glass of foam followed by 3-4 more. My thermometer says the foam is 47 degrees (not sure if you can accurately measure when it's all foam). I let it settle & the beer tastes ok (not sour), but it's flat once the foam has settled.

I kept 12psi on the keg while waiting for the new kegerator & never purged the keg to make sure it stayed at 12psi. What happens when a keg warms up? Does the temperature change cause problems for the carbonation levels? Should I call this a loss & get a new keg?

rball5,
    Yeah, foam will read colder than beer itself, give kegerator time to chill beer, I'd turn the thermostat back to normal and just wait. It takes time to get 7 gallons of beer down to 38 degrees.
    If time is a factor, take keg out and put on ice overnight, this should chill beer enough to try and balance.
    As mentioned in forum before, warmer beer requires more CO2, colder less, foam is expected if you apply 12 PSI at 50+ temperature, beer should be fine, just be patient.
    KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
      beer should be fine, just be patient.
      KB
      Perfect, thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X