Beverage Air BM23 Clicking Sound and temp issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beverage Air BM23 Clicking Sound and temp issue

My Beverage Air BM23 seems to be making an unusual clicking sound. Not sure if the compressor is trying to fire off.

The inside of the kegerator seems warmer than normal.

Anyone know what this may be? Video link below to see the hear the clicking sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAflWgzMCQ

Originally posted by stringzz View Post
    My Beverage Air BM23 seems to be making an unusual clicking sound. Not sure if the compressor is trying to fire off.

The inside of the kegerator seems warmer than normal.

Anyone know what this may be? Video link below to see the hear the clicking sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAflWgzMCQ
    What you have, Sir, is a compressor trying to start. You might get lucky in replacing the start relay but, given that the compressor has an old tin data plate, I would say that your compressor has locked up. They have not used tin data plates since the early '90s.

You can try replacing the start relay with a 3in1 start kit Amazon.com: Supco RCO410 Start Kit: Home Improvement but, I would not count on it working given the age of the unit. I'm afraid you may have a dead compressor.

THE ICEMAN
    My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    -Dave Barry-
    "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
    Strong beer is the milk of the old."
    -Martin Luther-

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What would I expect to pay to have the compressor replaced?

Cheers

Comment

Iceman is a savant in these matters. I would guess it to be the compressor too. You could bypass the relay just to confirm which it is, the compressor or the relay that's defective before you buy the 3 in one starter. But to do so you need basic handyman skills.
        How to Bypass a Refrigerator Relay | eHow

If it does turn out to be the compressor alls is not lost it can be replaced. But Iceman dates the unit at 25 yrs. old so it's a cost effective issue. If the unit is in good shape and you like it replacing the compressor will be less expense than replacing this unit with a new kegerator.
        I'm only guessing but repair would be 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of replacing it with a similar model.
        Last edited by pvs6; 01-24-2015, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stringzz View Post
          Thanks for the reply. What would I expect to pay to have the compressor replaced?

Cheers
          That depends on the reefer guy in your areas travel time, hourly rate,charging the system and what not. Compressor can be had for $220 plus shipping.
          Restaurant Equipment Parts, Restaurant Parts, Restaurant Supply Parts, Commercial Kitchen Parts
          I would figure with compressor you will be in for roughly $600-$700
          What I got:
          Beverage Air #BM23
          with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
          -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
          -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
          -MM S/S Keg Couplers
          YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Hey guys,

I apologize for resurecting this old topic but I was hoping some of you might chime in. To be honest this problem isn't even the correct forum for this post but since my issue is the most similar with this post I was hoping you guys can help me out.

I have beverage air UCR48 under the counter refrigerator that is experiencing the same issue as the OP. The fans run and it clicks to start on and off like the OPs every about 15 seconds or so. When I touch the compressor, it seems to be running smooth and vibrating fine so I'm hoping its simple like replacing the relay or capacitor or something.

I just want to know, since my compressor is running and vibrating like normal does it make it more likely the issue being the relay or capacitor?

Thanks

Comment

Shot in the dark if anyone knows. Hopefully THE ICEMAN will.

I have a BM23 and one morning I woke up and it was hot inside and the compressor wouldn't run. Long story short, I have tested resistance on the pinsas well as pins to the outside of the compressor and everything looks good. I've also tested the overload and got proper ohms as well as the start capacitor. The only thing not tested on the capacitor was MFD simply because my multimeter is missing this feature. But still, the continuity looks good.

Now I figured it might be the start relay as it rattled when shook. (I believe it is not solid state though so it is my understanding that is should to some degree.) I first bought one off Amazon which sent me a close but not exact model and I installed it. Didn't work. Tested continuity and could not get the female plugs to give a reading.

So then I purchased the one off of PartsTown and they sent me the same one Amazon did. A close but not exact part. (I realize that over time part numbers change.) However I also cannot get a female to female reading. Regardless, I installed it anyway. The compressor still isn't firing up.

However, now I notice a rattle in the relay when trying to power the compressor. I have attached the video to show in case I'm not explaining correctly. The overload fires/clicks but I can't get anything else. REALLY hoping it's not the compressor as it will be an arm and a leg to have someone replace.

If someone out there knows what it could be please let me know.

Comment

First of all, welcome to the forum...
                That sound in the video is the sound of the relay kicking in & the overload kicking it back out. The compressor is trying to start but it can't for one of two reasons. Either the compressor is locked up or it is not getting the "boost" it needs to start from the capacitor. If you have not tried replacing the capacitor along with the start relay (they will rattle, by the way) then you won't know if the compressor is locked up or not. Also, if you have an ammeter you can take an amp reading while the compressor is trying to start. There should be an L.R.A. (lock rotor amps) rating on the compressor data plate. If you are drawing amperage close to or above the rating then you have a locked up compressor.

THE ICEMAN
                My conversion ===------->> KILLER KEGERATOR
                "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
                -Dave Barry-
                "We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards.
                Strong beer is the milk of the old."
                -Martin Luther-

Comment

Working...
                X