newbie question!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie question!!!

Hey im new to this and just finished my 1st keg of shiner bock... went to pour a beer today and got all foam, still felt like there was beer left in the keg... but i disconnected everything and pulled out the keg to find out last of keg was frozen.... is that normal? I just converted my old fridge into a kegerator and fridge temp was 31 and liquid temp was 39 just found it kinda odd

irishfan21,
    Welcome, was the 39 degree temperature beer beginning or near end of keg? If the little bit at the end is frozen, it might be normal depending on the thermostat/ETC setting. It is about mass, applying 31 degree temperature to 15 gallons should get you 39 degree beer (on and off compressor). Once beer gets down to the level of less then a gallon, 31 degree temperature applied to near empty keg on very little beer, might cause it to freeze. Just check temperature as you lower keg level and see how cold it gets.
    KB

Comment

1st beer of the day was 39 beer was normally poured at about 37 degrees... my fridge is an older 1 with a dial so a lil bit kn the harder side to set my temp... could it also be that at the bottom of my fridge where the bottom shelf was theres a vent from the freezer to keep the bottom drawer colder and i have it open?
      Thanks again

Comment

irishfan21,
        Yeah, could be the vents, cold air sinks, so coldest air could be at bottom of the keg. Don't know how your set-up is or type or if through door or remote dispense to tower or anything else, so I can't figure out why the change of 2 degrees, but between full keg and near empty, there should be a temperature difference, between 1st and last of the day, not sure because don't know anything about your set-up. Most people put keg on some sort of platform or insulator, if you don't have any vents on top, I'd install fan at bottom, I'd also look into getting a temperature controller of some kind.
        If you need more help, post a clear description of your system, how you set it up (pictures would help), as the "read before posting" thread says, make sure it is "calibrated" temperature of consecutive glasses of beer.
        KB

Comment

Working...
        X