Loss of CO2 pressure - help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of CO2 pressure - help?

I did some searching, but couldn't find a solution to my problem. Forgive me if I've missed it. I've had a kegerator for a couple of years and clean the entire system thoroughly after every keg or two. I always seem to get confused about which gasket and o-ring go where, but have always managed to get it put back together correctly. It had been a while since I emptied my last keg, so last weekend I cleaned everything, bought a new keg and filled my CO2 bottle. I put it all back together and had a few beers then left it for a few days. When I came back, the CO2 was empty. I got it filled and reconnected it and did the soapy water spray test. I found a small leak at a connection I never loosened (just after the on/off valve beneath the pressure gauges) so I tightened it enough so there were no bubbles. Over the next hour, the tank pressure dropped from 54 to 50. I can't find any other leaks, but I noticed that the neck of the keg, around the tap, is full of beer. I never noticed that before. Is that normal? I removed and replaced the tap, but it didn't seem to turn quite as far as it has in the past. How far should it turn after engaging the thread? Any other thoughts about where my leak can be? I'm in Ft Worth - help me fix it and enjoy some Rahr Ugly Pug!

If leaking beer from the keg lug...Either you have a bad keg or your coupler has a bad or missing gasket, or if its a lower quality coupler (I just saw this on someones coupler last week)the metal was worn away and wasn't securing into the top of the keg anymore.Pictures of your coupler from the side and bottom might help.
    What I got:
    Beverage Air #BM23
    with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
    -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
    -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
    -MM S/S Keg Couplers
    YouTube video of the goods

Comment

IMG_6167.jpgIMG_6170.jpgIMG_6166.jpgHere are some pics - let me know if you think some other view would be better.

Comment

Everything appears to be there. Does it feel like it's seating all the way? Otherwise keg could be problem.
        What I got:
        Beverage Air #BM23
        -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

No, actually, it feels like I'm not turning it as much as I've turned others in the past. But I've twisted it as hard as I feel comfortable - I don't want to break the handle off! How many degrees should it turn after the threads engage?

Comment

Should turn roughly 45 I believe. Maybe go to the store where you purchased keg and he can lend you a loaner coupler before you return the keg? And see if a another coupler seats fine .
            What I got:
            Beverage Air #BM23
            -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Waymegelli,
              Either I'm not seeing coupler right or picture is missing something, Are you sure all the lugs are present? I think it is 2 lugs and 2 wedge like lugs on the coupler side, both the same size.
              KB
              Last edited by KillianBoy; 10-14-2014, 05:50 AM.

Comment

IMG_6171.jpgIMG_6172.jpgIMG_6173.jpgIMG_6174.jpgHere are a series of four pictures, roughly 90 degrees apart, around the lug. I put it on and off the keg a couple of times and every time, beer squirted out until I got it seated. (YES, I had it in the untapped position) Thinking back to my reassembly process, I wasn't sure of the correct location and orientation of a white plastic ball - about 1/2" dia - and a spiral spring. Before I tear into it, tell me how it should be, then I'll open it up and correct it if it's wrong. I guess I'm going to have to open it up anyway to see what I've done, but this way I'll know the answer and can correct it immediately.

Comment

Waymegelli,
                  Thanks for the pics and information, wings on the coupler is more upturned than my Draught Technologies (Haier) coupler, that's what threw me off.
                  On my "D" coupler, the probe sits flush with keg seal (the 2 prongs don't protrude when looked at straight, in off position), my "S" extends a little when in off position. Hate to ask are you sure it is a "D" coupler, if it is an "S" coupler, are you sure it is a "S" keg.
                  KB

Comment

Again everything still looks ok from pics..the little white ball sits in the probe with some kind of retainer holding it in place. Not sure of the spring thing your speaking of.try to get your hands on a loaner coupler to get back to drinking dammit!!!

KB that is a "D" coupler handle is down a hair making it look like the "s" probe but the "s" looks different on the end of the probe than the "d" .
                    What I got:
                    Beverage Air #BM23
                    -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

As PPNJBeerguy said, the lug turns about 45 after it engages, so I think I've assembled the ball and spring incorrectly. I'm going to take it apart and change something and see what happens. I think I have six possible configurations - ball above spring spring facing up, ball below spring spring facing up, ...... Argghhhhh - I'll be back later.

Comment

Picture of this spring you speak of? Never seen it on a coupler.
                        And the ball even taken out still won't explain a leak from the connection between keg & coupler
                        What I got:
                        Beverage Air #BM23
                        -MM S/S Keg Couplers

Comment

Ah - too late - I'm not taking it apart again to take a picture of a spring. Fortunately, it appears my first change has done the trick! The spiral spring points upward with the ball sitting beneath it. Apparently, this ball blocks airflow while installing the lug, and when the handle is pressed down, it opens the airflow path. When I reversed the direction of the spring, it allowed the ball to rise higher and do it's job. At least that appears to be the case. The lug went on cleanly, there was no beer spill and for ten minutes or so, there was no loss in pressure of the tank. Fingers crossed and I'll report back tomorrow for anyone interested.
                          PS The large end of the spring fits tightly in the vertical "tube" of the lug (where the beer exits), is about 1/2" tall, and the upper end is small enough to contain the ball.

Comment

The ball prevents beer back flow when you uncouple. Looking down from where the beer line attaches, you first drop the ball in, then put the spring in to hold it in place. When beer flows the ball rises in the flow, then when uncoupled it drops back down so beer doesn't come out of the probe. In all your pics with the coupler it looks to me like your handle isn't up all the way, which means when you were tapping the ball in the keg was getting depressed by the probe before the keg seal was in contact, leading to leaking beer as you were rotating the coupler into position. If it were an actual beer leak it would keep leaking. The type of leak you get from the probe being extended is momentary, leaves you with a burst of loose beer and a puddle of beer around the coupler, but that's it. My suggestion is make sure you yank that thing up when untapping.
                            Last edited by djc; 10-14-2014, 08:04 PM.
                            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Waymegelli,
                              I see the same thing djc does, the handle seems too low and probe extends too much, did you replace the handle? or any other parts on coupler? or modified it in any way? (grinding down of parts, etc)
                              Not sure if your coupler works the same as ours (BTW what brand is it), but most don't use the check ball to control air (CO2) flow, just beer flow when you take the coupler off keg when filled.
                              Normally CO2 flow is controlled by movement of probe up and down, up-probe closes the CO2 from tank, down-it exposes the vent from tank which leads to the keg. There is a duckbill valve on coupler from tank which prevents beer back flow to regulator.
                              I kinda agree with djc, the ball first then spring then the retainer, then you need a washer, then hose/hex put on coupler, honestly you don't need the check ball, it just prevents a mess went taking the coupler off keg, also get a new coupler anyway, good to have, just in case.
                              KB

Comment

Working...
                              X