Kegerator and Johnsons Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kegerator and Johnsons Controller?

Hi all, I have an Avanti BD7000. Only mod is a tower cooling fan. Problem I have is with the temperatrure. Air temp varies between 38 and 42 degrees. Liquid temp is usually around 41 degrees. No foam issues, everything works well, except the fact I'd prefer the beer to be a little colder, preferably around 38 degrees. I've read that adding a Johnsons controller to my kegerator can help me get my desired temperature. But before I buy one, can anyone explain how the controller would bypass the kegerator thermostat? Also, when the kegerator is initially plugged in, I know there is a safety feature that would requires the compressor to wait 5-10 minutes before it kicks on. How would that effect the efficiency of the controller?

Basically, I have a decent idea how this controller works by itself. It's own thermostat probe detects when temp rises and the controller powers the unit to kick on the compressor. Just don't know how the internal thermostat would be bypassed, is there something else I have to do during the install process, like disabling the internal thermostat??

Thanks for any info you guys have in regards...

Do you know if this unit has an electric or mechanical thermostat? If it is mechanical with a capillary tube, there is a good chance you can adjust it.
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Thermostat is mechanical. The line runs behind the cooling plate. While tinkering with it the last few days, I pulled it out from behind the cooling plate and had it set up right up against the roof of the kegerator. I figured that was the warmest part of the fridge. As a result, the compressor wouldn't turn off. It stayed on and got the air temp down to the low 30s and liquid temp down to 37. I had to unplug the unit a few times. I Just put the thermostat back in place because I'm not home all day to plug in and unplug the unit. However, if the compressor stays on when the thermostat is placed on the roof of the kegerator, I may have just answered my question. I may leave it there and let the Johnson's controller do the rest!

Comment

While not your exact model, I'm suspecting you unit is wired like the one in the manual in the following link. From that you should be able to find what you need to do to bypass the thermostat.

Somewhere on these forums there is a post dealing with adjusting these types of thermostats by removing the knob and turning a screw behind the knob.
        Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
        but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Yes, I've seen that before, but when I pulled off the the dial on mine, no screw. I'd have to take it apart to expose it. On a 2nd note, I put the thermostat back in place, but instead of behind the cooling plate, I clipped it in front of the plate on the keg side. I'm thinking that with more space and air flow, it may read a higher temp and cool everything down. Almost 24 hrs passed and air temp is now between 35 and 37 degrees with liquid temp at 38. I'll take that!

Comment

Working...
          X