Help-I think I flattened my keg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help-I think I flattened my keg

Got new keg of IIPA friday. Was 37.8 degrees after sitting for 24 hours (second pour temp with digital thermometer). V/v is 2.5 for this beer so I set PSI accordingly (between 11 and 12). So I tapped it and had two or three beers last night. Problem is I turned off the power strip while I had the cabinet open and tapped it and never turned it back on. 24 hours later (tonight) I had two beers and they tasted "off"-warm and flat- which is when I figure out my mistake.so I just turned the power strip back on, and I am going to leave the egg alone. Still set at 12. Should I be increasing the carbonation level to force carbonate the beer? If so how high should I set it? Or should I leave it at 12 and let it sit for several days?please help as this is my favorite beer!

j5ryall,
    You've just proven the balance thing, warmer the beer the higher PSI is required, colder beer requires less.
    Unless you plan on drinking the beer that warmer, just leave the PSI the same and wait for beer to get to temperature.
    The beer didn't de-carbornate, it just seems that way because the beer is warmer than what you calculated for, just wait for beer to get back to temperature, then it should be fine.
    KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
      j5ryall,
      You've just proven the balance thing, warmer the beer the higher PSI is required, colder beer requires less.
      Unless you plan on drinking the beer that warmer, just leave the PSI the same and wait for beer to get to temperature.
      The beer didn't de-carbornate, it just seems that way because the beer is warmer than what you calculated for, just wait for beer to get back to temperature, then it should be fine.
      KB
      Thanks. I did as you advised. After 24 hours the beer temp was down to 41. I expect it will drop to approx 38 by tonight (I have Johnson controls external temp controller). The first beer I poured last night was a bit under-carbonated but subsequent beers were better. not sure of the explanation for that. But I suspect everything will be right by tonight. Will update again in the morning.

Comment

The beer is still not retaining carbonation very well. Any thoughts?

Comment

Give it more time and if you want to hurry it a bit, more pressure.
          What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

j5ryall,
            Yup, patience is the key, what is the temperature now? When you have the new calculation add a couple of PSI as djc says and see.
            KB

Comment

Temp was 38.9 last night. I kicked the pressure up to 14. I just can't wait to drink it!!! Maybe I'll just refrain from drinking draft beer for the next few days and check it again Saturday night.

Really appreciate the help. One of these days I'll do a full post on my experience and successes using the tips and info obtained from this site. I've read just about every foam and instructional post on here since I got my kegerator two years ago and you guys have really helped increase my enjoyment of beer.

Comment

Drinking it will not effect the carbonation process.
                What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                  Drinking it will not effect the carbonation process.
                  I didnt think it would based on my rudamentary understanding of how carbonation works but the sixtel was pretty expensive. Would rather drink bottles and cans for a few days than drink less than ideal tap beer.

Comment

Couldn't wait so tried it out last night. The beer seems to be good to go. Perfectly carbonated. Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                    X