** HELP ** True TDD-4 Kegerator. Wont get below 42*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** HELP ** True TDD-4 Kegerator. Wont get below 42*

So I picked up a True TDD-4 three door kegerator for a sweet deal and it wont get any colder than 42*.

- I've cleaned the condenser well and it's damn near spotless.
    - I wrapped the cold copper coils in insulated tape as the old tape had come off.
    - The evaporator coil was checked with a thermometer and only gets to 40*.
    - I've sealed the holes where the old Co2 lines ran with a spray insulated foam.
    - I've checked the seals around the doors and they're good.
    - Ambient temp is 84-85*.
    - Both fans are running.

After going over the parts manual I am missing the cardboard shroud that goes around the condenser. Could this be the reason?

If anyone needs pictures, has suggestions or needs greater detail just let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Par3Me

Beer on tap;
    - Red Rye 5.1%
    - Belma IPA 6.3%
    - Watermelon Wheat (Phoenix Ale) 4.8%

par3me,
    Do you know when the unit was last serviced? It probably needs a shot of refrigerant by a professional.
    KB

Comment

Originally posted by KillianBoy View Post
      par3me,
      Do you know when the unit was last serviced? It probably needs a shot of refrigerant by a professional.
      KB
      I don't. I know it sat unused and off for a while (maybe a couple years) in an Indian food restaurant before I picked it up.

I only paid 200.00 bucks for it. Although after selling the three kegs in it, extra 2 tap brass tower, keg taps and tap handles I'm up a free kegerator and 50.00 bucks.

I'll call someone tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks for the quick reply.

-Par3me

Comment

par3me,
        No problem, if you post a picture of the serial # plate, this will give the experts an idea of age and other info. Hopefully it is a newer unit and compressor isn't the problem. These commercial units professional need service every few years.
        KB
        Last edited by KillianBoy; 08-15-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

par3me,
          No problem, if you post a picture of the serial # plate, this will give the experts an idea of age and other info. Hopefully it is a newer unit and compressor isn't the problem. These commercial units professional service every few years.
          KB
          Perfect! It does looks like a model with some miles but the compressor seems to run strong, the coils get cold, evaporator gets down to 40* and has frost all over it.

Is there a site I can go to so I can look up the manufactured date?

Thanks again.

Comment

par3me,
            Just post a picture of the plate the pros who hang out here might make sense of the numbers, not sure if True has a site to decipher the numbers. Hopefully it is a R134a unit and not a R12.
            KB
            Last edited by KillianBoy; 08-15-2014, 08:39 PM.

Comment

par3me,
              Just post a picture of the plate the pros who hang out here might make sense of the numbers, not sure if True has a site to decipher the numbers. Hopefully it is a R134a unit and not a R12.
              KB
              I had a buddy that does AC look at it right after I bought it and did mention I could use R143a. I did a little research. It looks like it has a ship date of 02.19.1998 but sat off since 2004 or 2005 per the kegs and service tags.

The link is True Manufacturing - Serial Inquiry

Comment

Here is a pic

image.jpg

Comment

par3me,
                  Yikes, it's a R12, just use the most important tool any member here has, patience, and wait for a pro to chime in. Make sure when you call a professional for service show them this picture and let them know it is a R12 unit.
                  KB
                  I don't think you can use R134a in a R12 unit, its a matter of seals and leakage, think professionals still have R12 but really expensive (that's why you got such a great deal).
                  Last edited by KillianBoy; 08-15-2014, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Gotcha.

That makes sense. Well I'm still ahead 50.00 bucks and a free kegerator that gets my beer to 42*. I would like it colder but good beer still taste good even warmer.

Maybe I misunderstood my buddy about the R134a.... Wouldn't be the first time.

Comment

You sold kegs that were sitting in it for 9 or 10 years? WTF?
                      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Yes I did. Am I missing something? What would you have done with them?

Normally they're used for deposits on new ones or home brewers turn them into brewing pots.

I'm not sure your "WTF" is valid on this one.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Comment

no problem selling them.Even though technically they are property of the brewery. Kinda like milk carton deal..And yes your True unit is R12 by the ID tag. Shouldn't matter if it sat for a few years. If refrigerant leaked out, their is a reason it leaked out (aka a leak)meaning you just can't pump it up and go back to using it. It will leak out again. Could take a day could take a year to leak out again to low levels. If your leak is in the evaporator coil(where they usually are) and can't be found or fixed.You would need a new evap coil. 42F is pretty high on the temp scale for draft dispensing. You would need your regulator set at 14LB + psi and need really long lines to tame the fast flow. And even then you will probably still have foam issues.
                          What I got:
                          Beverage Air #BM23
                          with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
                          -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
                          -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
                          -MM S/S Keg Couplers
                          YouTube video of the goods

Comment

I see the keg selling in a different light. It is the brewery's property. It is nobody's to sell. A brewery buys kegs for something like $150 each, so you have essentially taken $120 of value from them. On top of that the previous person who was watching over them prevented the brewery from using their investment for the 9 years. Cheap asses who won't go buy a proper brew pot and instead steal kegs from breweries are just that, cheap asses. Everything comes full circle and everyone gets to pay the price for this type of behavior.
                            What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Well that makes more sense. With the "you sold them after 8-9 years?" led me to believe it was a time issue and not an issue of brewery thievery. I'm familiar with cost of kegs and that the brewery loses on these. If it was a local craft brewery I would have drove to them and dropped them off. Since they were big 3 kegs I called my local distributor who cared less to drive to me and pick them up. I guess when you make the kind of money they do selling fizzy rice/corn water it's not a big deal.

Back to the kegerator. Does anyone have suggestions for finding said leak? Would any AC guy work or is there someone that works specifically with commercial kegerstors?

Thanks for all the info gentlemen.

Comment

Working...
                              X