Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about home setup

Hello all,
    I am new here and this is my first post! I would like to ask a question about my set up i have in my home. I have attached a picture to help explain it. I received this set up for a house warming party and used it the other day for the super bowl and it worked out great. My question is more about long term use tho. As you can see in the picture, the keg does not stay cold, and the cooler up top has over 50 feet of coil in it. I fill it up with ice and water to keep the coils freezing cold. It works great when we kill the keg within a few hours. As i mentioned though, i'm curious how long i can keep the keg beer "good" even tho the keg is warm? Does having the keg warm cause issues? I do keep it pressurized at about 12 psi for the duration of use. I have googled it and people say the keg must be cold or bacteria builds up in the beer. I figured i'd get a better answer from someone on here who knows alot about beer. So is this an ok method to keep beer on tap for, say, a month? Any information on this topic would be great knowledge for me as i am knew to this kind of thing. Please let me know if you need more info or more pictures. Thank you so much in advance and i look forward to seeing what you all have to say. Cheers!
    Attached Files

It's impossible to use as a long term system.

Depending on the beer, it can go bad rather quickly being exposed to room temperature levels - as well as the the lines going funky when they sit with beer at room temp after the ice melts. Also, the PSI level required to push the beer through 50 feet of coil is too much for an extended dispense time - after a day or two your beer will becoming super carbonated and pour nothing but foam. If you are really using only 12 psi, you aren't likely to overcarb your beer - but the Co2 will break out of solution at room temp causing it to go flat.
    Using a single keg for a long duration requires a properly balanced keg which prevents the keg from going flat or over carbonating. You canot balance a keg system with a jockey box - they are designed for use with rapid beer consumption where a keg is expected to be completed shortly after tapping.

A day or two you can certainly do it - you MIGHT be able to use this setup for a week without any ill affects - but a month would never work. Depending on what you pay for a keg, it might be worth it to you to experiment and see how long you can make it work. As far as the the beer in the keg spoiling - it will not grow bacteria unless air is introduced into it - it will just start to taste bad and won't be enjoyable to drink.
    Last edited by Sketch; 02-10-2012, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for your input Sketch. Much appreciated. For the most part i wont plan on having the keg for much longer than a week. My gf and i like to have a pony keg of good imported beer and a week is usually perfect. I will definitely experiment with it and make sure to give the keg a bit more pressure. I havn't had issues with foam at the end of the keg, only in the beginning if i tap it too soon after hauling it in. Again, thank you for the input, it's nice to have a place to come to ask questions. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X