keg beer = bad hang over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keg beer = bad hang over

i have been hearing back from a few sources that keg beer, of any brand, produces a bad hang over versus the same amount of beer from a can/bottle. i initially thought it was just the fact that when we drink from a keg, we tend to drink more, as we easily loose count, but after educating myself on this forum, i began to think that it was all due to the fact that the vast majorities of kegerators/jockey boxes are not cleaned as frequently as they should be, if at all, and therefore people drinking from them were actually feeling the effects of the bacteria and foulness that was never cleaned from them, when they wake up hung over the next morning.
    Has anyone else heard this argument before? is it possible that keg beer may contain a higher alcohol level then cans/bottles? any other possibilities i havent mentioned or considerd?...any one?...anyone?... bueller?...
    Last edited by rogthecog; 07-08-2011, 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Thank you Lord for this beer we are about to drink. Please keep us safe from the evils that sometime follow beer, and please allow us speedy recoveries from our hang overs.. Amen

I've heard this argument, and in my opinion you've hit the nail on the head with both items. People drink more, and possibly out of dirty lines. Also, if the glassware has soapy/detergent residue (which is probably not uncommon in bars that are washing glasses quickly and using them immediately) those added chemicals probably make things worse. The beer/container itself is not the issue.
    Last edited by cubby_swans; 07-08-2011, 02:53 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

rogthecog,
      Could be gear wasn't cleaned enough, cleaning chemicals not washed out properly, or maybe it was the case of beer you drank in 2 days, I ran the numbers, 6 of you drank, on average, 27.5 12 oz. beers per person. Whether bottle or draft, that's a lot of beer.
      KB

Comment

um... okay... thanks KB, but this question was unrelated to the last posting i listed, therefore this was a new thread.
        Thank you Lord for this beer we are about to drink. Please keep us safe from the evils that sometime follow beer, and please allow us speedy recoveries from our hang overs.. Amen

Comment

rogthecog
          I’m sorry if I misunderstood that this was a hypothetical question or related to a different keg. So if it’s a question if keg beer leads to more hangovers or headaches if consumed equally with can/bottles I’d say no, all beer is the same only difference is keg beer is not pasteurized (in most cases). The other difference is the gear used to dispense the beer, as cubby said clean gear and glasses are essential. What wasn’t mentioned was contamination of CO2 and brand of beer, search forum regarding hangover or headache, in one of those posts, Scott mentions that one of the main reasons for keg beers causing hangovers and headaches is over consumption due to the smoothness of keg beer, hypothetically speaking.
          KB

Comment

I think its an unbalanced system that causes a hangover. Have you ever drank beer at a place that says, "Coldest beer in town!"? The co2 breaking out in your body can cause an instant headache.
            SEAN
            I cool my tower with Beer.
            http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html

Comment

Complex organic molecules such as methanol and acetone are found in some drinks and are said to be responsible for hangovers rather than ethanol(alcohol).

John Galt
              Con Edison, Sales Consultant
              Albany, New York
              Con Edison

Comment

i always got headaches from tap beer with less consuption than bottle but find now that i have my tap system its the other way around. also, if i go to a local bar ie..applebees, 99 etc i will also get a headache with less beer. i always thought it was the preservatives that cause it more quickly and also think that most restaraunts are using mixed gas....could that contribute? anyway, if i drink at home i seem to be less apt to get a hangover and i seem to drink quite a bit more beer.

Comment

What preservatives are you referring to? Mixed gas means nothing, as the nitrogen does not dissolve into solution like co2 does. The problem is most likely not fully cleaned glassware at Applebees or wherever.

Also, there's the whole mental aspect, where you've got yourself convinced that xxxx makes you sick so it happens.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

i should of said "presevatives in bottled beer" as for the being convinced...i never liked draft beer at restaraunts because of the headaches. but i host a large poker tourney every year, for this event we get kegs and use a jockey 2 tap box. it seemed like i could drink all day and not pay in the am. i set up my home system and it still seems that way. but if i have 2 large and small at dinner while out i pay the next day with a headache. i can watch a movie in my theater and consume 5-6 16oz glasses and nothing in the morn. just found it funny and never really wondered why until i read this thread.

Comment

The only preservatives in the beers I drink are Alcohol and Hops. Bottled or draft.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I've had beer on tap @ home for 5 years. Installing six taps now. I haven't noticed any more hangovers than normal...

Comment

I've heard this argument, and in my opinion you've hit the nail on the head with both items. People drink more, and possibly out of dirty lines. Also, if the glassware has soapy/detergent residue (which is probably not uncommon in bars that are washing glasses quickly and using them immediately) those added chemicals probably make things worse. The beer/container itself is not the issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X