No announcement yet.

Homemade Keg Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got most of the supplies pretty cheap if I already didn't have them in my shop. I made this because I like projects and I travel a lot. This will be perfect for my many tailgates and houseboat trips. Also, the "cool" factor. It is always fun to wow your buddies.
    Inconceivable!

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've been wanting to do something similar for tailgates. I've searched around for a couple of used drums but I've had no luck...so I'm wondering, where did you find the barrels?

glubash and Itch, thanks for posting the pictures. If I ever find the materials to build mine then I'll be sure to post pics.

Comment

Thought I would update this. Tomorrow I leave for a long weekend houseboat. About 6 and half hours of driving with my kegerator and 4 days of fun in the sun with 13 friends. I have it all hooked up and chilling. It is strapped currently to a 2 wheel dolley that will make moving it much easier. Here are the pictures from last week when I got the keg and started to chill it.

I will post updated pictures of it on the boat next week when I get back.

Inconceivable!

Comment

Originally posted by domtown View Post
          Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've been wanting to do something similar for tailgates. I've searched around for a couple of used drums but I've had no luck...so I'm wondering, where did you find the barrels?

glubash and Itch, thanks for posting the pictures. If I ever find the materials to build mine then I'll be sure to post pics.
          You should have some pretty good luck on craigslist.com They can normally be had for $5-$10 a barrel. I found the 30 gallon one at a local car wash (soap for the automatic car wash is normally in 30 gallon barrels).
          Inconceivable!

Comment

Your R2Beer2 has been an inspiration for me to build one of my own. I made mine with a different kind of top. I cut away from the top of the outer barrel keeping the lip intact. The guy I get barrels from has lids that fit over the top of the outer barrel. I sandwiched two lids together with some foam board insulation along with some silver bubble wrap radiant barrier. I added a round piece of varnished plywood and installed a kegerator tower. I made a tower cooler whose fan plugs into a USB input for ease of using a battery/car charger. I taped two small strings of battery powered LED Xmas lights to the inside of the outer barrel and filled it with pour insulation I got from Tap Plastic ($40). I'll post pictures of things that differ from the original R2Beer2.

Cut the top off the outer barrel
            10314773_615934688503664_2797550608165548765_n.jpg

The gas line going through the lid is disconnectable.
            Gas Line Installed.jpg

Disconnected.
            Gas line disconnected.jpg

Gas line going through bottom of lid.
            bottom gas line.jpg

Pour insulation
            X-30.jpg
            Last edited by Hank Jubilee; 06-24-2014, 11:28 PM. Reason: Changed some stuff.

Comment

Foam.jpg

After I trimmed the foam insulation, I coated it with clear silicone to protect it from water/ice.
              cut foam.jpg

Battery pack for LED lights.
              jBatteries.jpg

The tower cooler.
              Fan.jpg

Finished ice kegger in the daylight.
              Daytime finish.jpg
              Last edited by Hank Jubilee; 06-24-2014, 11:24 PM. Reason: Thought of stuff to add.

Comment

Lights turned on.
                Lights.jpg

I put in 3 bags of ice on Friday afternoon, and here's the picture of on Sunday afternoon with about 2 bags of ice left. We didn't add a single ice cube. Amazing really. The tower cooler worked awesome.
                Ice.jpg

Thank you for the inspiration to build my own. I could not have done it without you.

Comment

Oops, forgot the pic of the dolly attached.
                  with dolly.jpg

The radiant barrier.
                  Radiant Barrier.jpg

Silver tape protecting the tower hole.
                  Silver tape.jpg

Comment

Excellent job!

Comment

Bringing back an old thread, but very nice Glubash! I actually saw that about a week ago on instructables and am building something similar. Great idea and concept and this will be a big hit for my big houseboat trip this summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X