Bottling Keg Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottling Keg Beer

If you were to bottle keg beer, how long would it keep in the bottles?

If you did it right and got no oxygen in the beer in the process then it would last as long as it would in the keg. How long depends on the beer, most micro's 3 months, domestics maybe a bit longer, High alcohol beers can last for a long time, 10-20 years. Key here is done right, any oxygen the gets into the beer during bottling will break down the beer much quicker.
    Ed
    Blue Line Draft Systems
    www.bluelinedraft.com

Comment

Depends on how you bottle. If you used a sanitized tube that ran from the faucet, to the bottom of a sanitized bottle (or used a filling wand/beer gun), then filled to the top of the bottle, then removed the filling tube/wand/beer gun from the bottle, then let the foam creep up to the cap (so the air is removed), then capped it, I'd say it should last months. This is how homebrewers cap their bottles.

I assume you talking about using real bottles with a capper or swing top bottles. If you're talking about twist off bottles, then I guess it depends on how tight the seal is on that bottle, as to whether or not the beer might go flat.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

I got my first keg late last month and wanted to bottle some beer to take a relatives house to drink during christmas eve. where and what kind of bottles can i use? I was going to wash out a used 2 liter bottle and fill it up but i don't think that would work?

Comment

I use growlers for road trips. They hold a half gallon each. It is what small brew pubs typically sell their products in. I actually see that in Westchester County NY there is a big trend for beer stores to have growler programs and 8-10 beers on tap. The deposits are usually $4 or $5, but having a few in stock is a good thing for taking your beer with you.

I'm sure you could find a place on line to buy them. Don't forget to buy caps.
          What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

Originally posted by Gdubss31 View Post
            I got my first keg late last month and wanted to bottle some beer to take a relatives house to drink during christmas eve. where and what kind of bottles can i use? I was going to wash out a used 2 liter bottle and fill it up but i don't think that would work?
            I have used 2L bottles and it works really good.
            No CRAP! on tap

Comment

where can i get the best price for Beer Growlers? "********"?

Comment

I don't think you need to shop it really hard, they cost less than $10. If you find a brew pub they cost $12-$14 full of beer.

Google it.

Comment

I tried to paste a link, but MM is editing it. Must be a competitors site. It took about 2 seconds to find one for $7. Try searching for "buy empty beer growler"
                  Last edited by djc; 12-08-2011, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I buy full growlers from my local brew pubs.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Thanks for the info......... I'm heading down to San Diego next weekend so I might happen to get lost and wind up at "Stone brewery and or Green Flash"and pick up some growlers.

Comment

If you did it right and got no oxygen in the beer in the process then it would last as long as it would in the keg. How long depends on the beer, most micro's 3 months, domestics maybe a bit longer, High alcohol beers can last for a long time, 10-20 years. Key here is done right, any oxygen the gets into the beer during bottling will break down the beer much quicker.
                        Ed

Comment

Keg beer will last at least as long as bottle, and can have considerably longer shelf life. Cold storage greatly slows the deterioration of beer. So hop aroma and flavor is preserved. Staling from oxygen is slowed. I have experimented this for different kegs few of them I got from mumm products.

Like most food, cold storage is best. Of course if you regularly keep all of your bottles chilled then this is not a thing.

Cheers
                          Last edited by mummproducts; 08-17-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

2L bottle will be great.

Comment

Working...
                            X