Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Added Salt to Icewater Bath in Jockey Box!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added Salt to Icewater Bath in Jockey Box!

After doing a little online research, I wanted to try adding some salt to the ice water bath in my 120 ft SS coil-based jockey box in hopes of getting an even colder pour from a not so cold keg. I finally got the chance to test it out this weekend and it worked! First, I filled a glass with ice and water and checked it with my thermometer - got it down to about 32-33 deg. f. Then I added some table salt (couple of tablespoons) and stirred. Within a few minutes, the temp was down to 27-28 deg f. I read that table and rock salt will both work and since I didn't have rock salt, table salt would have to do.

I'd say I added about 1 - 2 cups of table salt to an ice water bath with about 30 lbs of ice in the cooler. I forgot to bring my thermometer with me to the event but the beer was definitely pouring colder than ever and everyone loved it.

It's not very scientific and I don't have hard numbers, but I plan to do this every time I use the jockey box.

Sounds interesting. Is there a such thing as beer that is too cold? Could it freeze the beer in the lines?
    "If you tap it, they will come."

Comment

Originally posted by CoreyD View Post
      Sounds interesting. Is there a such thing as beer that is too cold? Could it freeze the beer in the lines?

Any salt will work.

But yes, if you're tapping your tyical 5% ABV beers, they start to freeze around 29 degrees. If your cold lines gets down to 28 or 27, your beer could very well freeze in the plate. Instead of checking the temp of the water, you should be checking the temp of the beer to see what it's pouring at. If it's not below 30, I say enjoy. But if it sit's for several minutes or more between pours, you run the risk of freezing your lines.
      Last edited by cubby_swans; 08-25-2008, 02:04 PM.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Cubby, you're right, I should have checked the temp of the beer but I didn't have my thermometer with me. My guess (from my highly trained mouth thermometer) is that is was pouring at about 33-34 deg f. and without the salt it normally pours about 38-39 deg f. 3-4 degrees is a BIG difference and because it was crappy Bud Light, everyone loved it. I wouldn't want it that cold for a good ale.

Comment

This would be the same concept as making home made ice cream.
          Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Zuhse View Post
            This would be the same concept as making home made ice cream.
            That's what got me thinking about it in the first place! The last time I used the box/cooler it was outside and very hot. The keg and cooler were being kept in the shade with a bag or two of ice on the keg but they melted quickly. A bunch of people commented that the beer coming from the tap was plenty cold but that a plastic Solo cup full would get warm before it was finished. I told them they were drinking too slow! A few people, including myself, wondered if getting it even colder out of the tap would help. Apparently it does since there were no such comments this weekend, only "wow, this is some cold beer!" and "that's amazing since it's coming from a keg that's not on ice."

Comment

I bet they complained the next day that they had a headache from drinking the beer! This has nothing due to the beer or system. It has everything to do with the beer tasting so awesome that they drank more than they usually do.
              Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

Originally posted by Hophead View Post
                it was crappy Bud Light, everyone loved it. I wouldn't want it that cold for a good ale.
                Thank goodness. I was wondering how someone with a moniker of Hophead could be talking about great 30 degree beer.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Working...
                X