Nice beer back with Scotch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice beer back with Scotch?

Just looking for some suggestions on my next keg. I was pretty much dead set on getting a 1/2 of Sam Adams Summer Ale, but then I was thinking about that bottle of Johnny Walker Green that I haven't touched since I tapped my first keg of Killians. Usually when I drink Scotch I'll drink it with a Miller Lite back because the Lite kinda cleanses my palate (like water but with more alcohol ). I've tried drinking Scotch with a more flavorful beer but the beer messes with the flavor of the Scotch.

Does anybody else do this? I was trying to think of a beer that I could tap that would have more flavor than the Lite so I could enjoy drinking it with or without the Scotch. Or should I just stick with the Summer Ale on tap and get a 6 pack of Miller Lite for Scotch drinkin?

Any suggestions for my next bottle of Scotch are welcome too!!

I think there is a time for beer, and a time for Scotch. And I prefer to know what time it is.

Try Famous Grouse - not pricey at all, and you may not need to cleanse your palate as much!

Comment

I know what you're talkin about... I also like to drink beer and single malt scotch. I like something medium bodied with some flavor, like Anchor Steam or even Sam Adams Boston Lager.

I must say though, I have Sam Adams Summer Ale on tap right now and it tastes great on a hot day! The lemony flavor might not mix well with the scotch... haven't tried.

Comment

ThirstyTexan, thanks for the suggestion. I'll put that on my list with Highland Park. The economy will determine what I get to try first!

Jackstraw, glad somebody is with me! Just finished off a six pack of Sam Adams at a friends house a couple days ago...didn't have any Scotch on hand to check it out. I think I'm gonna go with the Summer Ale...these opportunities only come around once a year! I'll grab a six pack when it's Scotchy Scotch Scotch time.

Comment

Ok, so here is my humble opinion. My first true love is a good scotch. True love number 2, beer. Number 3 and so on=wife, kids, dog etc. Anyways, I like Johnny Walker because it is a good blended scotch and tastes great for the price. Generally, if I am drinking scotch I drink it with 1 small ice cube and a splash of water in a scotch glass. The water helps bring out the flavor, believe it or not. Anyways, more to the point. When I drink scotch I do not mix beer because there is really no need to cleanse the palette. Your drinking scotch, I mean if you really want to get your palette good and clean so you can enjoy every drink your best bet is water. I prefer to drink scotch when I drink scotch, and drink beer when I drink beer. Generally I go with beer because comparably it is inexpensive and tastes great. If I was to miz a beer with scotch I would use bud lite becuause although I don't particularly care for it, it is quite watery and doesn't leave much aftertaste. Best bet is if looking for a full bodied beer and scotch, keep it seperate. Nothing goes with scotch well like more scotch. On a side note, having drank all of the following....Johnny-red,black,gold,green, and blue. I would recommend that for the money you buy black label. It is significantly cheaper and still tastes good. The difference from black to green is good. However, the only time I can really justify spending the money is when I splurge and buy a bottle of blue, which if you have never had is heaven in a glass. Anyways, that is just my opinion, let us know what decision you make.

Comment

I think "cleanse my palette" was the wrong choice of words. I love the taste of Scotch and any beer with more body than a light tends to leave an aftertaste that messes with the Scotch taste. Honestly, I think I drink the beer with the Scotch because otherwise I would drink the Scotch too fast! My friend was given a bottle of Glenlivet 18 a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't much left by the time we were done...no beer to slow us down, but we didn't pay for it so we enjoyed it that much more!

Johnny Black has been my regular go to for awhile. I agree, great Scotch for the price. I actually learned about the ice cube and water from a bottle of Balvenie that came with a little pamphlet about the proper way to drink Scotch. Works like a charm. Blue is on my list as well, I get jealous everytime I hear Tony Kornheiser talk about it on PTI.

I ended up going with the Summer Ale. I cleaned my lines, faucet, and coupler with CleanFlo before I tapped it and the first pour had a little extra foam but PERFECT after that. I was pretty happy about it so I felt like sharing . What a beautiful beer...I hadn't had any draft Summer Ale yet this year and I almost forgot how pretty it looks in the glass! I think next time I enjoy some Scotch I'll just have to show some restraint or stick with a little bit of Miller Lite to keep me in line.

Comment

Working...
            X