Tare Weight Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tare Weight Question

I'm trying to estimate the amount of CO2 remaining in my tanks. I know that most steel 5# tanks have a 7# empty(tare) weight. I also have a 10# and a 20#(or 15#) all made of steel. My question is: what is the app. tare weight of the larger cylinders? I can't find any TW stampings on them. Any help is appreciated
    Last edited by sudsy; 07-01-2008, 03:56 AM.

Originally posted by sudsy View Post
    I'm trying to estimate the amount of CO2 remaining in my tanks. I know that most steel 5# tanks have a 7# empty(tare) weight. I also have a 10# and a 20#(or 15#) all made of steel. My question is: what is the app. tare weight of the larger cylinders? I can't find any TW stampings on them. Any help is appreciated

I would buy a dual guage regulator.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

Originally posted by cubby_swans View Post

I would buy a dual guage regulator.
      cubby:
      All a two guage regulator tells you is that you have some (or none) liquid left in the cylinder. It offers no clue as to how much. You need to weigh the tank to determine that. Thanks anyway for the reply. Does anyone know the app tare weights of those steel cylinders?

Comment

Tare weights of steel cylinders are variable due to variances in the manufacturing process, that is why almost every steel cylinder has the tare weight stamped into it. Should be right near the hydro cert date...

If your cylinders really aren't marked, your gas supplier or hydro cert shop should be able to measure and stamp them with the proper tare weights for you.

Good luck!

Comment

I have a 20lb bottle (steel) that I keep exchanging when empty. The empty weight is usually 29 to 30 pounds. The full bottles come in at 49 to 50 pounds. Not an exact answer, but when the bottle is in the low 30lbs range it's near replacement, if you don't have a high side gage to check.

Comment

Thanks Lunkhead

Originally posted by lunkhead View Post
            I have a 20lb bottle (steel) that I keep exchanging when empty. The empty weight is usually 29 to 30 pounds. The full bottles come in at 49 to 50 pounds. Not an exact answer, but when the bottle is in the low 30lbs range it's near replacement, if you don't have a high side gage to check.
            That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I also have a 20# steel tank that I thought to be near full and it weighs 49# also I will use 30#s as a refill alert. Now if I could get the same info for a 10# steel tank, I'll be all set! Thanks again for the info

Comment

I have a steel 10# that I'm picking up at Praxair on my next run, I'll read the stamped tare weight off of it, then weigh it full and let you know so you'll have a ballpark idea for your tank.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewGuru View Post
                I have a steel 10# that I'm picking up at Praxair on my next run, I'll read the stamped tare weight off of it, then weigh it full and let you know so you'll have a ballpark idea for your tank.
                Thanks BG! Even if you just post the Tare Weight, it would be a help. Of course weighing it would help you determine if you really got 10#s or not Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X