keg trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keg trailer

Hi all, Am so glad found this forum. Me and a buddy camp all summer, yes we live in our campers and go to work from there. Ok here is the question, I bought a jockey box setup with an extra tap and regulator for $100. We plan on building a box with 6 inches of pink styrofoam all around for the keg. It will be mounted on a trailer to pull behind the golf carts. We will keep it iced down. How long of a hose can we run the beer through before we start getting problems. And how much can we get for the jockey box setup?
    Thanks for any replys,
    Edddyjoe

But Mama that's where the fun is.

So are you planning on towing the keg around whilst consuming it or just towing it to the campsite?
    Malt is the soul of beer... and yeast gives it life..
    but the kiss of the hop is the vitality of that life!

My three favorite beers: The one I just had, the one I'm drinking now and the next one I'll have.

http://kegerator-social-network.micr...bygrouptherapy

Comment

Was kinda hoping both. That's why the length of beer hose question.
      Thanks,
      Edddyjoe

But Mama, that's where the fun is

Comment

Wait a second here! We need to define what exactly you and your buddy are attempting to accomplish here. Are you saying that you want to pull a trailer behind your golf cart which has an insulated box with an iced down keg in it and then have a hose from the coupler on the keg to a jockey box on the cart so you can drink while navigating a course?

Awesome! Nothing better than aiming fluid. Use 3/8" ID vinyl from the coupler to your jockey box. Insulate it with some pipe insulation to protect it from the elements.

You need to fill us in on what type of jockey box you have - cold plate or coils.
        Scott Zuhse, Instructor Micro Matic Dispense Institute

Comment

We didn't plan on using the jockey box. Just an insulated trailer with a hose coming out. The jockey box was a bonus that we are going to sell. The guy sold me a jockey box with another regulator and tap inside, so I figured just use the extra setup and sell the jockey box to cover the expense.
          Thanks
          Edddyjoe

But Mama, thats where the fun is

Comment

Keg beer + bouncing around in the back of a trailer = foam city. Stick to a cooler full of cans/bottles.

Comment

Ok point taken, how long after a chilled keg is shaken can you drink it?
              Thanks,
              Edddyjoe
              But Mama, thats where the fun is.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't have an exact answer. I always let mine sit overnight after bringing it home, but I'm sure you could hit it sooner.

Comment

A shaken keg is not as much a problem as one would think. When a keg is shaken, any foam should rise to the top. The beer is sucked out of the bottom of the keg. While it may raise the internal pressure of the keg,which you can reset by pulling the ring on the keg coupler when you stop to pour a beer, temp. should still be your main concern. At least thats my thoughts on it. Tapman

Comment

Originally posted by TAPMAN View Post
                    A shaken keg is not as much a problem as one would think. When a keg is shaken, any foam should rise to the top. The beer is sucked out of the bottom of the keg. While it may raise the internal pressure of the keg,which you can reset by pulling the ring on the keg coupler when you stop to pour a beer, temp. should still be your main concern. At least thats my thoughts on it. Tapman
                    If you're releasing the internal pressure, you're releasing that carbonation from the beer. Which means you're flattening your beer.

If you agitate a keg, the carbonation wants to escape the beer, but it can't under pressure. It doesn't simply rise to the top inside the keg as foam. Once you pour it all the carbonation escapes and you have a glass of foam. You should let a keg sit for about two hours prior to tapping/pouring after it gets shaken in transport.

Try shaking an unopened bottle of beer. You don't see any foam rise to the top of the air space in the neck of the bottle. But if you open that beer, POOF, instant geyser of foam. And any beer that might be left in the bottle after the foam explosion goes away is flat beer.

Home Brew IPA

Comment

OK another question. Does anyone what the temp of the keg will be iced down all the time? As I stated in an earlier post we are building a very well insulated box and will keep it iced down at all times. After reading many posts here as to the importance of the temp I am wondering if keeping it iced will keep it too cold.
                      Thanks again,
                      Edddyjoe
                      But Mama, thats where the fun is.

Comment

OK,
                        After reading post top to bottom here is the new plan. Will build a very well insulated box on a trailer. Trailer will not be moved much at all. When we do move it will wait a few hours before drawing beer. Will just have a short hose (2') to draw from the keg. As stated in earlier post kinda worried about temp now. I didn't realize that the temp was so critical.
                        Thanks again,
                        Edddyjoe
                        But Mama, thats where the fun is

Comment

Throw as much ice at it as you can. Unless your outdoor temps are below freezing, I doubt you could over chill it with just ice. You also might want to read up on keg balancing and rethink that 2' hose. The co2 pressure required to maintain the c02 volume of the beer will dictate that you supply at least 9 psi of pressure. 9 psi of pressure coupled with the resistance of a 2' hose and you'll have a beer cannon 5' of 3/16" ID beer line is considered by most to be the bare minimum. Most people are happier with 7'-10'. Just coil up the rest inside the insulated box somewhere making sure it doesn't get kinked.

Comment

Working...
                          X