First Kegerator Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Kegerator Purchase

I’ve been combing various forums for a couple weeks and trying to compile research. I thought I’d post and kind of share my compiled data as a cross-check with all you smart folks.

First, I am not looking to save money on beer. We have a home bar and usually drink liquor mainly because keeping bottled beers around is not great and we do prefer tap beer. We don’t drink significant amounts, and I would expect a beer tap to be a single, loaded with a 1/6th barrel (or a 1/4 only if I can’t get what I want in a 1/6th), and dispensed over a couple of months. It could easily not be used for 3-4 days at a time.

I also have no problem with instructions or learning curves, and I can absorb the instructions for balancing that is referenced here. I hope to follow directions and achieve what I want with a minimum of fuss, but I don’t mind changing things around to optimize. I am a fully capable DIYer but not interested in doing that here, I have other hobbies where that time is needed. I expect it to be similar to my wife’s interest in espresso - lots of research, good equipment, and now she pulls a good shot 99% of the time and experiences only the tiniest bit of trial and error when going to a new bean.

So, given all that, I think I’m in the right category with reasonable expectations for a home dispenser.

I’m leaning towards a single commercial unit. At first, I was searching for the quietest one but none seem to stick out as quieter than the rest, so I’m pretty into the BM23 that comes with the single tower. It’s probably the same sound level as everything else, comes with a single tap tower, and allows me to accessorize later due to standard sizes on everything. It also seems extremely popular in the hobby community and has strong parts availability online. Plus a cooled tower without any additional spend to start. And design seems to allow other towers or multiple taps in the future if I decide later.

Things I think I’d be wise to get -
    * 5lb CO2 tank purchased locally to get into the exchange rotation with a local supplier (and fit inside the unit for neatness)
    * A quality CO2 gauge set with two gauges for tank volume and delivery pressure
    * A high quality forward seal faucet to make the occasional usage level problem free.
    * A cleaning ‘kit’ with everything needed to get started for cleaning probably with a hand pump, expecting to be using it every two weeks
    * A stainless coupler of the proper type
    * Some mats for the bottom surface to keep things neat
    * A thermometer I can put in ice water and calibrate for accurate readings
    * A rubber cap for the tap when not in use.
    * A longer 3/16” clear beer hose than the included 5’ for optimizing the balance

This seems like I’d have many weeks of fun tapping, learning, drinking, and perfecting ahead of me.

Am I missing anything or off in the wrong direction on any of this?

You won't save any money buying in 1/6ths. It is about the same as the case price, and often times even a little more. For beer economy you need to be buying in 1/2's or worst case 1/4's. The periods of no use call for forward clsoing as you have found out. I'd say your list is good.
    What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

As you have discovered if you are looking for the best, for either single or dual product, you will be hard pressed to do better then the BM23. I just made the purchase recently, went with a BM23-2 model with a 3" stainless steel tower, and dual perlick faucets.

I currently have the unit in my dining room and while the BM23 is louder then say a regular consumer grade refrigerator, it's really is not exceptionally loud (when the door is closed) ie; I can not hear it in the adjoining living room unless I really try to specifically listen for it. Yes maybe with the door open it's loud,, but how often are you going to have it open? Only when your working on the inside.

Yes, A 5lb tank will fit nicely in the right back corner of the unit. Personally I bought mine online, and refill at a local welding supply store (this may be a cheaper alternative) a refill in my area is $20. My advice would be to stay away from the Kegco brand for the regulator, I bought the Kegco "Premium" dual gauge regulator (the only thing premium about it is the cost of a second c02 refill), and after only a couple of weeks found c02 leaking from one of the shut off valves, emptying an entire tank..so make sure you go for a better brand, I just went and ordered a micromatic which seem to be built well.

For Mats, take a look at San Jamar vm5280bk Versa mats (credit to PointPleasantNJBeerguy for the recommendation), I just recently installed these in my unit, and they work great.

Other than that you appear to have everything covered, get extra c02 washers, and extra beer line washers. Oh and get some type of metal/stainless crimp /oclamps as the plastic ones they give you are pretty cheap and uneffective!

Good luck with the purchase!
      Last edited by ldobson; 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM.

Comment

danox574,
        Sound is subjective, sound that is tolerable to one is annoying to another, look at member PointPleasantNJBeerguy posts, the db level of a BM-23 is listed, think there are a bunch of apps out there that can read, replicate and check db levels. Base what is and isn't tolerable on levels for your ear, most commercial units are loud, louder that home dispensers and regular refrigerators, if want to quiet go DIY with a chest freezer or refrigerator.
        KB

Comment

Another happy bm23 customer here.
          ldobson thanks for the shoutout....
          What I got:
          Beverage Air #BM23
          with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
          -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
          -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
          -MM S/S Keg Couplers
          YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. DJC, I assume you misread my note because I actually said I wasn't interested in saving money, just trying to get the best beverage I can in the house. The extra washers make good sense, and I actually have the San Jamar mats under my glassware in the bar cabinets already, so I'm familiar with it.

I think this is going to be great. I'm sure I'll make my 'FOAM PROBLEMS' post in a month or so.

Comment

Working...
            X