HELP with CO2 Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with CO2 Connections

I used chat a few weeks ago for help in building a modification to my kegerator. Through the help of micromatic, I built a parts list and recently ordered them. I received all my parts yesterday and started piecing everything together. Basically my goal was to purchase a larger CO2 tank(5#), cut a hole in my fridge wall, and run the co2 line through the fridge wall. I purchased hose(553R), washers(759), Tailpieces(526E), nuts(874), and a sleeve(CPC-100). When piecing everything together last night, I found a couple issues with what I was suggested to order. First, the nuts do NOT fit the connection on my regulator. The nut does fit onto the tap. The connection on my regulator is MUCH smaller. I
    Attached Files

Probably because you have cheap chinese components...Regulator should have a 5/16 hose barb..which is the the size co2 hose you got. And nut not fitting your tap definitely tells me you have chinese import parts.time for new tap and reg..
    What I got:
    Beverage Air #BM23
    with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
    -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
    -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
    -MM S/S Keg Couplers
    YouTube video of the goods

Comment

The nut does fit on the coupler the way I read this. So your only issue is the output of the regulator? It needs to be a barbed fitting as pointed out. Hard to tell from the quality of the picture, but my guess would be after the shut off you would be able to unscrew the double male threaded fitting and replace it with a thread-to-barb connection. Or unscrew from the shut off down and replace with this;
      Beer Gas Regulator Shutoff
      Last edited by djc; 02-20-2014, 10:19 AM.
      What I have: Haier two tap, 525 faucets, tower cooler, 10' lines

Comment

You can try what DJC recommends for your regulator. Just be careful unscrewing shutoff.Some are on there sooo tight. If you don't have a vise to lock regulator into to unscrew you have to be careful not to bend the guages up..
        What I got:
        Beverage Air #BM23
        with a "Sexy" Double Faucet Tower and Celli Eurpean Faucets
        -MM Premium Double Guage Primary Regulator
        -MM Premium 2 Product Secondary Regulator
        -MM S/S Keg Couplers
        YouTube video of the goods

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The nut does fit fine on the tap, my concern with that was the seal. Will the tailpiece, washer, and nut I have be enough to create a 100% gas seal or is my tailpiece suppose to have some type of O-ring? And I think I'll order the part that DJC recommended. That should work fine.

Comment

I think I'll take that threaded coupling off past my shutoff and just look for a 5/16" barb that will screw on there. Then problem solved. Last problem would be where I hook the gas up to my tap and the sealing issues. O-Rings? Neoprene washer?

Comment

PointPleasantNJBeerguy,
              I think it is a Great Northern Frosty Keg Kegerator Beer Dispenser Fridge.

bjlasota,
              Honestly buy a new regulator and tank, best and simplest way to run gas. If can't get new regulator and tank, just cut stock line and feed through hole (I think this is what you wanted to do originally) and reconnect the coupler side connection and you might be good.
              I also think you really don't need a new tank, new regulator might be a better upgrade, new regulator should fit the stock tank (which should last at least 3 1/2 kegs before refill), also you don't need new CO2 lines if you use stock regulator as long as the coupler side fits right and has a gas check and/or neoprene washer.
              KB

Comment

It is a great northern. I wanted a new tank for a few reasons. I work in a different time zone than I live, so most places are closed by time I get home. Also, my old tank blew a seal on a Saturday night right after tapping a keg. There were no places open so my result was getting a party pump and drinking it in a day. So I wanted a backup tank. I'll get the little tank repaired and use it as a backup. I bought new CO2 line because the one that came with the kegerator was too short and since the new tank won't fit inside, I'll need to modify the line to take it outside.

I pulled my shut-off valve off from my regulator last night and am going to stop by lowes and see if they have any 5/16" barbs.

Comment

bjlasota,
                  Can you keep membership updated regarding switching out parts? I swear the Great Northern regulator is the same one Nostalgia uses, it seems that a MM barb doesn't fit perfectly on the Nostalgia regulator. I have a funny feeling the regulator is metric, if you take the barb to a DIY store, they probably can check size and confirm if SAE or Metric, thanks.
                  KB
                  BTW you probably could use a 3/8 bard if a 5/16 can't be found, a little tight but hot water should get 5/16 hose over barb.
                  Sorry had to correct size, sometimes I confuse beer and gas lines, if you got things working, no problem, just let membership what is happening and if thing do and don't work, thanks.
                  Last edited by KillianBoy; 02-24-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I picked up a 1/4" NPT 3/8" barb from Lowes. The hose was tight, but it went on my existing shutoff valve for my regulator so I think I'm in business.

Comment

bjlasota,
                      Sorry have to say, but make sure you put a liberal amount of Teflon tape at the connection between new barb and regulator. Sorry if you forgot to mention or planned to but without tape it will leak.
                      KB

Comment

OH yeah, I was sure to do that. Tefloned it up good. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X